upgrade from x power to mono x? worthwhile or not....

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi All,

I am thinking of selling my one cyrus x power to get mono x power amps. Do you think it would give a big step up in performance?

The rest of my kit is cyrus pre vs2 and psx-r, 8se and psx-r and proac response d1 speakers.

Wanted to try and get a fuller ircher sound with more authority and think the mono x's may give this, but your thoughts would be welcome.

Phil

A

Anonymous

Also, my speakers max handling load is 100watts, as the mono x amps are 150w, would this be bad for my speakers and blow them as it is 50% more than their max handling?

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Hi, I had similar dilemma, but added another X Power, now both in mono, and very pleased with the results. For your second point, in theory, the X Powers in mono are 140W (though probably more) - I assume it depends on whether you have the opportunity to crank them up to 11 ?

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Hi

I didn't listen to either Xpower's or monoX's and there's no way I could in forseable future but if I were you I would give monoX's a go only because they are a feedbackless design. not a simple feat to make a feedbackless power amp which has a wide bandwidth and low distortion, not mentioning very affordable price, so respect to Cyrus. no feedback should result in that you'll get even more transparancy and better focus into music and better feeling of immediacy. well, whenever I get a chance I'm switching to a feedbackless amp myself. but my pick is much more expensive so I have to remain patient for now :)

as for your speakers' power rating... it might be risky to mate such powerful amp as monoX 200 with those speakers (at least in theory). but if you can restrain yourself from turning volume knob too far right you and your speakers will be alright. let me put it this way; speakers' power rating of 100W means they can withstand 100W continuous power from power amp. there's no way you'll be able to push your speakers and amp that far or you'll become deaf after an hour of such torment.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
As good as an X Power is, Mono X's will transform the D1's. Any quality speaker will improve greatly with better quality amplification.

As mentioned already, there is the X200 and X300 as well, but these are a little more expensive than the Mono X's will be picked up for at the moment. Having said that, they're quite a step up too.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts