upgrade from roksan kandy and spender s3/5r

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site
which direction to go?

Rega rp6 is the main source of my system and is currently paired with Roksan Kandy k2 and spendor s3/5r. Listening habits tending towards a mix of heavy rock and electronic these days so basically a bit bass heavy. love the spendors refinement and musicality but they are struggling a bit with bass at higher volumes not unexpectedly (they are on decent stands). So looking to upgrade with up to 2k to spend - looking for better bass but don't want to lose musicality of the spendors - open to upgrading amp. Any ideas on where to go with this? is 2k enough to get any significant improvement or is it worth saving up a bit longer? thanks folks.

Ketan Bharadia

Jun 7, 2007
Visit site
I think you would do better with dividing your budget between better speakers and improving the phono stage. The one in the Kandy is decent but you'll get a much better sound going for something like Rega's MM (£200) or Graham Slee's pricier ERA Gold V MM (£400). As for speakers, have a listen to ATC's SCM 11s (£1200) or the similarly-priced Proac Studio 118.

rainsoothe

Ketan Bharadia said:
I think you would do better with dividing your budget between better speakers and improving the phono stage. The one in the Kandy is decent but you'll get a much better sound going for something like Rega's MM (£200) or  Graham Slee's pricier ERA Gold V MM (£400). As for speakers, have a listen to ATC's SCM 11s (£1200) or the similarly-priced Proac Studio 118. 
+1 to everything he said. Alternatively, if you can afford it, sell the kandy and get Rogue Audio Sphinx+ATC scm 11 (the rogue reportedly has an amazing phono stage). If you wanna keep the Roksan, go Graham Slee Era Gold and audition ATC, Proac, maybe Dynaudio Excite range. You won't get bass out of your Spendors no matter what you do. Unless you add a sub, perhaps.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts