Upgrade from Monitor Audio RX6 ?

danny86

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
Hi fellow audiophiles !

I am perfectly ok with my RX6 setup however I find them very revealing and forward and over long listenings they tend to become tiring.

Max budget would be Eur 3000.

Currently looking into the Focal Aria 926 / 948.

Anyone heard these models ?

Thank you in advance,

Dan

KidKomet

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Are you looking for a more relaxed sound overall then? That's a good budget to play with so I can't stress enough that should demo as much as possible. Others on this forum will likely be able to offer specific speakers as I don't have much experience in that price range. Heard the KEF R700's and thought they were fantastic but definitely not relaxed. What is the rest of your setup?

danny86

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for your message.

The system is :

PC > Chord Opticord Toslink > Arcam irDAC > Atlas Element Asymetrical > Moon i.5 > Audioquest Slip 14/2 > Monitor Audio RX6

matthewpiano

I'd recommend giving the Dynaudio DM3/7 floorstanders a listen. Richers have them for £999 at present and, if they are like the standmounts I've heard from the DM range they will give you a very cohesive, wholesome sound that isn't tiring but still has plenty of detail. Make sure you try them with your amp though.

KidKomet

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Not familiar with that amp so giving any new speakers a listen is a must. The Focal Chorus 836's might be worth a listen, as would the DALI Ikon 6.

danny86 said:
Hi fellow audiophiles !

I am perfectly ok with my RX6 setup however I find them very revealing and forward and over long listenings they tend to become tiring.

Max budget would be Eur 3000.

Currently looking into the Focal Aria 926 / 948.

Anyone heard these models ?

Thank you in advance,

Dan

With your budget I would be auditioning Vienna Acoustics, ProAc D18, Spendor A6 and PMC Twenty 23.

matthewpiano

BTW, I briefly heard the Focal 926s when I went to pick my amp up yesterday. They were being driven by valve monoblocks. Sounded very nice - not superficially impressive but a natural way with instrumental timbres and an ability to pull you into the music. The larger model were next to them - they really are HUGE.

danny86

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for your message, Matthew.

Do you think the 948 are worth the extra penny ?

I'm considering them as they might avoid one extra upgrade for more bass in the future.

I also considered Proac D18 but my audio vendor (how has both Focal and ProAC) said ProAC does not work well with Moon Amps, so I guess Focal it is then...

KidKomet

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Ignore my previous post. PP had a much better suggestion with the Spendor's and PMC's. I completely overlooked your budget (my mistake, sorry).

danny86

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
To provide closure on the topic, perhaps more may be interested :

I auditioned ProAC and found them more tiring despite the silk tweeter. Bass was also boomy and lacking texture (even on a high-end Sugden Masterclass Amp).

I auditioned Focal Aria and loved all their products, especially Aria 936 and Aria 906 (for small rooms).

I also auditioned Focal Electra on Jadis Orchestra Reference Tube amp and was not so impressed (esp. given the price).

I ended up with Focal Aria 906, wonderful speaker in my tiny room (16 sq meters). Much more musical than RX6, highly recommended.

I couldn't be happier.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts