Upgrade From Marantz CD6003 - DAC?

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Hi. I'm ordering a pair of Rega RS1 speakers today and I'm also potentially looking for an upgrade for my CDP as well but I would appreciate some opinions please.Currently I have a Marantz CD6003/PM6003 combo which I am very happy with indeed, particularly the player. What I am looking for is just that extra detail as I feel there is just a little bit missing at times, particularly when listening through my headphones. Now I guess the logical next step-up CDP wise would be the Rega Apollo but I am looking at an absolute maximum budget of £300 so that rules that out, although I have come aross an ex-dem at £360 which I might be able to stretch to but is likely to be gone by the time I get around to a decision. Music is a total variety although I guess I major on vocals and instruments, and although i do like hard, heavy bass, listening circumstances dictate that that is an absolute no-no hence my choice of new speakers.So, would a DAC be a potential solution within this budget and, if so, any suggestions please? Or would a £300 DAC only provide a relatively small, unworthwhile improvement for the money? Many thanks for your thoughts

Hi. I'm ordering a pair of Rega RS1 speakers today and I'm also potentially looking for an upgrade for my CDP as well but I would appreciate some opinions please.

Currently I have a Marantz CD6003/PM6003 combo which I am very happy with indeed, particularly the player. What I am looking for is just that extra detail as I feel there is just a little bit missing at times, particularly when listening through my headphones. Now I guess the logical next step-up CDP wise would be the Rega Apollo but I am looking at an absolute maximum budget of £300 so that rules that out, although I have come aross an ex-dem at £360 which I might be able to stretch to but is likely to be gone by the time I get around to a decision. Music is a total variety although I guess I major on vocals and instruments, and although I do also like hard, heavy bass, listening circumstances dictate that that is an absolute no-no hence my choice of new speakers.

So, would a DAC be a potential solution within this budget and, if so, any suggestions please? Or would a £300 DAC only provide a relatively small, unworthwhile improvement for the money? Many thanks for your thoughts

matthewpiano

I personally think you will struggle to improve much on the CD6003 at anywhere near the price.

I think a DAC might be the best way forward here but I'd be looking to something like the Rega DAC or the Musical Fidelity M1 DAC for a worthwhile improvement. I've heard the Arcam rDAC and I personally don't think it would be an improvement on the Marantz's internal chip.

Ordinarily I'd say you'll get the biggest improvements from renewing you speakers, but as you've already ordered the little Regas, something in the region of Audiolab 8200, which has the built-in DAC. Other than that your mentioned make of Rega Apollo.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
The old (pre 'R') Apollo would be an excellent choice.

There are usually some good 'uns on ebay. (A couple right now including a black, mint, boxed, ex-display one with a year's warranty for £375 BIN from a 100% +ve seller.)

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
I personally think you will struggle to improve much on the CD6003 at anywhere near the price.

I think a DAC might be the best way forward here but I'd be looking to something like the Rega DAC or the Musical Fidelity M1 DAC for a worthwhile improvement. I've heard the Arcam rDAC and I personally don't think it would be an improvement on the Marantz's internal chip.

Thank you Matthew, I had a sneaky feeling that that might be the case. I had thought of the rDAC as I do like the Arcam sound from what little I've heard of it. The Rega DAC would be a great idea if it was over a hundred pounds less!

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
chebby said:
The old (pre 'R') Apollo would be an excellent choice.

There are usually some good 'uns on ebay. (A couple right now including a black, mint, boxed, ex-display one with a year's warranty for £375 BIN from a 100% +ve seller.)

Thanks Chebby. Had a feeling this might be the way I'd have to go somehow. I'll have to work very hard to find another 60 quid somehow!

Sizzers said:
plastic penguin said:

Thanks PP. I don't mind ex-dem for a CDP but I'm a bit funny when it comes to buying used players.

Fair play - I'm a little cautious when it comes to s/hand CDPs, but if you could pick it up for less than £200, that maybe worth a punt.

If you decide to look at amps instead, the logical choice would be Rega Brio-R.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Erm, slight change of plan.

I WAS going to order the RS1's this afternoon in black ash until I was told that Rega were out of stock for 3-weeks *groan* and I couldn't find a pair anywhere. However, I have found a pair in high gloss red (or garish green or yellow if you prefer) for £299 brand new! Looks like I'll be looking for an Apollo after all!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts