Upgrade from Focal Aria 905 to 906

Hawkwind16

May 22, 2016
Visit site
I like the presentation of my Focal Aria 905's and I'm looking to upgrade to the 906's for a bigger sound.

My room is slightly less in area than the recommended 15 sq. metres according to the Focal literature, and more seriously my listening position is usually 6 ft away rather than the recommended 8 ft.

Is this anything to worry about ? Will I be too close ?

I listen at low / mid volumes, and the layout of my room isn't ideal so i'm not expecting perfect stereo imaging anyway.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Can we know the size of your room in dimensions, either meter or feet.

How far apart will your speakers be.

How far will they be from back wall.

How far will they be from side walls.

How far is the wall behind you at your seating position.

Hawkwind16

May 22, 2016
Visit site
gasolin said:
seriously?

That's a small upgrade MABYE you should look at something like a Kef LS50 or KEF R300 or Q350

The clue is in my original post which says 'I like the presentation of the 905's'.

The KEF's you mention are not dissimilar in price to the 906 but i think will lean too much towards an analytical sound / aggressive treble. In a demo i preferred the rich meaty sound of the 906's to the (much cheaper) Q350.

gasolin

The upgrade is sooo small even when whathifi give the smaller 4 stars and the bigger 5 stars

Frequency responce theres only 5hz in difference and 0.5db

Personally i have had the Boston A25 and A26, theres a little difference but not huge, if you had the dali zensor 1 and wanted a pair of zensor 3 i would say go for it, i can't imagine that the difference would be as big as the yamaha hs5/hs7 or dali zensor 1/3.

Have you listen to the Dynaudio Emit M20 ?

Hawkwind16

May 22, 2016
Visit site
gasolin said:
The upgrade is sooo small even when whathifi give the smaller 4 stars and the bigger 5 stars

Frequency responce theres only 5hz in difference and 0.5db

Personally i have had the Boston A25 and A26, theres a little difference but not huge, if you had the dali zensor 1 and wanted a pair of zensor 3 i would say go for it, i can't imagine that the difference would be as big as the yamaha hs5/hs7 or dali zensor 1/3.

Have you listen to the Dynaudio Emit M20 ?

I suppose it is a minor upgrade in some respects, bit its an easy and inexpensive one.

When i have more space i will look more widely and expensively, probably looking at ATC/SMC/Spendor/Harbeth but thats for another day. Right now i'm mainly looking to check the suitability of the 906

rainsoothe

I used to own the 906 too and I agree that it is a very good speaker for the money. It's not necessarily "meaty", it's the Caspian that makes it that way. I would characterize it by having a very big sound, smooth treble and good bass, and it's really unfussy about positioning. As for Kef, the R series are NOT analytical, but imo they are a bit too warm and lazy and need very energetic partnering equipment, and would make a bad match for the Caspian.

As an alternative to the Aria 906, please audition Martin Logan Motion 15 as well, and also the ATC SCM11. For a future upgrade, consider Dynaudio Special 40 or sh B&W PM1, PMC and, if you don't mind the looks, the amazing JBL 4312SE.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts