Upgrade dilemma

Nyorker

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
Wasn't sure where to post this - video or audio...

I was originally planning to upgrade my old 5.1 speaker system, especially since the sub is "on the brink". Then, I began realizing that with the amount I planned to invest in a new speaker set I can replace my 50" HDR set. Although I do not sit too close to the screen (around 14 ft, I suppose), most of what I watch is blu ray & HD material.

So the question is, what is better: to upgrade the sound - or the screen...?

Thanks!

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Simple answer is whichever you think you can improve the most. Maybe the sub first if there's a problem with it. Hard to say unless you tell us what the speakers and tv are.

Nyorker

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
BenLaw said:
Simple answer is whichever you think you can improve the most. Maybe the sub first if there's a problem with it. Hard to say unless you tell us what the speakers and tv are.

The plasma is Panasonic 50X10, receive is Pioneer VSX 521, and the speakers are from a company called Dome (I got them when I didn't have the faintest idea about speakers...). Actually replacing the sub is a pretty good idea, if it doesn't conflict with the satellites.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
What's your budget, now and in the future? I think you're at a level where you need to spend a few quid to upgrade any one component and until you have funds to do the next one there'll be a bit of an imbalance, but that's just the way it goes.

Nyorker

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
BenLaw said:
What's your budget, now and in the future? I think you're at a level where you need to spend a few quid to upgrade any one component and until you have funds to do the next one there'll be a bit of an imbalance, but that's just the way it goes.

I can't say about the future but for now I would say my budget is about 800-900. I should upgrade the amp first?

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Not sure what your speakers are. Looks like you have a good budget amp so I'd be tempted to upgrade speakers and sub, you could get a nice set for that money and then upgrade the amp to match when you replenish the HT budget.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts