Question Upgrade computer speakers

iMark

At the moment I'm doing more and more of my listening in my office. I use my Mac mini as a source. I currently have a set of Logitech Z523 connected to my monitor, which is connected by HDMI to the Mac. I've had them for about 10 years.

Z523.png

My partner has a set of Harmon Kardon Soundsticks III in her office. I like the sound much better than my Logitechs. but unfortunately I can't find any new ones for sale in NL.
Soundstick III.jpg

Since the speakers would only be connected to computer I don't need any wireless connectivity (Bluetooth or AirPlay).

Could anyone recommend an upgrade for my current Logitech set without any connectivity I don't need? I only need a minijack connection. It's mainly for listening to music.

iMark

Good question. I don't think I want to spend more than €200. But if there's a huge jump in quality I will consider spending a bit more.

The iLoud looks interesting but I can't really place it properly on my desk. The iLoud MTM in white would be great but is too expensive at the moment.

Last edited:

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Also to add that if your mini Mac has a digital output your likely better off using that as inboard soundcards usually aren't as good as ones in dedicated hifi product. In other words, a dac plus speakers or speakers with built in dac should be better by far than using a mini jack

Lilitti

Apr 30, 2021
Visit site
With 200 € I would look at Edifier brand. I never tried them but I read a lot of enthusiastic reviews and they seem to have a good quality / price ratio.

D

Deleted member 188533

The Klipsch 2.1 ProMedia speakers are excellent especially at the sale price around $100ish. Logitech Z625s are similar but probably not quite as good. Both have a solid subwoofer and will fill a pretty large room.

You could look at powered monitors depending on space and budget ( and availability ). Klipsch R41PM or R51PM, JBL LSR-305s or 306s, Vanatoo Transparent Zero or One. Any of the Edifier speakers.

iMark

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Not everything is available here in NL.

I had a look at Edifier and the e25HD looks very interesting. Quite a small footprint on my desk and a nice design too. Is there anyone with any experience of them?

Another contender: Edifier R1280T. No connectivity I don't need on my desktop. I would imagine the sound is better than the smaller ones.

My current Mac Mini has optical out. New Mac Mini's don't. There's progress for you.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts