Upgrade CDP or add a DAC to existing CDP

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I have a marantz cd 6004, it's a fine player for the money but I have a budget of £600 for some upgrades, would i be better off buying a Cyrus 6se or buying a dedicated DAC and use the Marantz as a transport to improve things?

If I boughs the Cyrus it would lay the path to eventually upgrade to Cyrus amplification as I love the compactness of the Cyru gear.

Many thanks

A

Anonymous

I use a cheap cd player as a transport and feed my rega dac, i get stunning results!

I can also feed my tv/br/pc through it...

with out doubt the way to go!

stevebrock said:
I have a marantz cd 6004, it's a fine player for the money but I have a budget of £600 for some upgrades, would i be better off buying a Cyrus 6se or buying a dedicated DAC and use the Marantz as a transport to improve things?

If I boughs the Cyrus it would lay the path to eventually upgrade to Cyrus amplification as I love the compactness of the Cyru gear.

Many thanks

You maybe attracted to Cyruses diminutive dimensions but whether the sound will have the same effect is another question.

If you have a brightish sounding set-up then Cyrus may appeal. As you have the Marantzes I'd be looking at either Arcam rDac or Rega Dac. It should give you the upgrade you crave and added flexibility.

Ultimately though, you'll need to hear a DAC or two alongside the Cyrus and decide which format 'rocks your sonic boat'.

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
Your CD6004 is a good transport and with your budget buy a decent DAC and its effect is much much better than buying a new CDP (of that price range).

T

the record spot

I don't think buying another digital source for £600 would be the best way forward. Either speakers or amp (e.g. ex-display or heavy dicount) would yield greater results. IMO.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Ok thanks for the replies, I've had a long think and your all probably right, sounds like the Arcam rDAC is the way to go as it will mean I can still play my CD using the CD6004 as a transport, stream spotify premium to my iPhone/iPad (something that I couldn't do with my CD6004) and play lossless files from my Mac...... Am I right in thinking the rDAC has all the connectivity to do this?

plasterman

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
I have the marantz cd/pm 6004 combo and also wanted to add a dac as an upgrade. In the end I went for the new rotel RA12 which has a built in dac and bluetooth streaming and usb for external drives, also it is rated at 60w rather than the 45w of the pm 6004. It's not as flexible as stand alone dac as you can't connect a computer directly to the amps dac, although you can stream via bluetooth from your PC.

So now the cd 6004 is connected to the rotels dac via co axial, also the usb port on cd 6004 outputs through the rotels dac.

I'm glad i went down this route because the SQ from the rotel is a fair jump from the pm 6004, thats not to say the marantz was a bad amp, because it's not. The rotel just grips my b&w 685 so much better, more difined bass more detal well more everything really.

Only had it day so it's changing as it burns in all in a good way :grin:

A

Anonymous

stephennic said:
Hi,

I wouldnt think the arcam rdac would be much improvement sonically on the marantz cd6004.

Cheers

Steve.

+1

Audiolab & Rega would be a good place to start..

plasterman

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
stevebrock said:
Would you say it's a better amp than the marantz then?

Yes, but i suspect that has a bit to do with having a bit more power on tap and the b&w 685s are responding to that. Not to mention the fact that the rotel costs £300 more than the marantz. I had intended to buy an audiolab mdac but had doubts that it would be that much of a jump in sound quality to justify the price and it would still have to go through the pm 6004.

So even though you have a £600 dac you're stuck with the marantz sound. Nothing wrong with the marantz sound as such but after 8 months with this system I felt I wanted a bit more detail and a little less warmth. I've no doubt that the mdac is better than the dac in the rotel but I think the rotel as an all round package is spot on for the money.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Yes a few years ago had a rotel ra971 mk2 amp, cd63ki sig and mission m71 speakers and feel that the system was more detailed than my current set up. not sure if this was down to the ki sig cd player or the forward sounding rotel amp or both but the bass was a lot nicer on my old system!

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Just bought a Rega Brio R, it's blown my socks off, what a fantastic sounding amp!

Gonna save my money now and get the Rega DAC, I auditioned it today with the Brio and some Neat Motive 3..... Omg I was speechless.

Anyway I got home tonight hooked up the new amp.....WOW even sounds ace with my BX2s...... I don't know what I was thinking with buying a new CD player, the Marantz is really singing now through the Brio!

stevebrock said:
Just bought a Rega Brio R, it's blown my socks off, what a fantastic sounding amp!

Gonna save my money now and get the Rega DAC, I auditioned it today with the Brio and some Neat Motive 3..... Omg I was speechless.

Anyway I got home tonight hooked up the new amp.....WOW even sounds ace with my BX2s...... I don't know what I was thinking with buying a new CD player, the Marantz is really singing now through the Brio!

Congrats. Not heard the Rega Brio-R but it sounds like you've found your hi-fi niche.

Ambrose

Feb 19, 2008
Visit site
stevebrock said:

Hi Steve,

I have Rega Dac and Neat Motive 3 and similar AMP in ways and really appreciate the stunning sound this combination gives!:bounce:

The Rega Dac is wonderful!

Ambrose

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts