Upgrade budget hifi

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Current hifi setup:

Cambrige Audio 540 v1 Amp and CD player. Wharfedale 8.1 Diamond speakers.

My setup is basically the exact 'bargin' hifi mix recommended by whathifi about 3 years ago, complete with 5 star cables and connectors (£6 per cable meter and £30 connector). Would like to get more detail from my system and seen as I can't afford the £1000+ to upgrade all 3 components I was wondering what part of my system I should be looking to change. My budget is around about £400.

Also is there a limit to the amount I could send on a single component giving the budget nature of my setup i.e currently £200 each back in 2005?

Thanks

A

Anonymous

I would look at upgrading your speakers, as I think your Cambridges' maybe more revealing than you realize. It's the obvious choice at the moment but I think the B&W 685 will sit nicely in your system at about £350.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
You could pick up an Arcam CD73 at little over £200 brand new at the moment, and get some Monitor Audio BR2s, sell your system on eBay and put what you get towards an amp, then save up for a power amp.

ÿ

A

Anonymous

Speakers will give best bang for buck, and actully bring some real decent improvements imo. Spending on source/amp at this stage will see your results severely restricted by your Wharfdales, again, only imo

Octopo's suggestion should definitely not be ignored. They're a great speaker at a great price.

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
Changing speakers always makes the greatest difference to any system and making small changes is always short-lived or not worthwhile, so I personally would not replace your Wharfdales with another budget standmount. Depending on your room size you could try a pair of easy to drive floorstanders - the ALR Jordan Entry L - at just £500 new.

Binman

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
Definetly change the speakers. I've got some of the Wharfdales you own - they do sound good for the cost / size, but no where near what you'd get from a larger speaker. I use them in the kitchen attached to a micro system.

I was round a freinds last night, he has a C Audio Azur amp, and has got a pair of Mission M73i floorstanders. Sounded good to me. I wouldn't go overboard on the price though.

I agree with most of the guys - speakers will generate the biggest boost in sound quality and on a tight budget I would start there. A good match for the Cambridge would be Kef IQ5's. These will give superior detail and depth.

If you can only accommodate stand mounts then try the newer generation of Tannoy's, brand new. If you go ex-dem or second hand, shop around and look for Dynoaudio Audience 52's. Lovely speaker.

A

Anonymous

gpi:Changing speakers always makes the greatest difference to any system and making small changes is always short-lived or not worthwhile, so I personally would not replace your Wharfdales with another budget standmount. Depending on your room size you could try a pair of easy to drive floorstanders - the ALR Jordan Entry L - at just £500 new.

Fully agree - speakers will probably give biggest improvement for the money.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts