Upgrade advice

fallfanmike

Oct 18, 2014
Visit site
Any advice gratefully received.

I currently have a Denon DM38 system with Mission MX1 speakers. I've been reading reviews of Marantz PM6005 and CD6005 and I'm considering upgrading.

The system is in a smallish living room, approx 4m x 3m. I also have the Denon linked to my Samsung tv for better sound when watching films for example. Musical tastes are mainly indie.

I suppose the big question if one is considering a circa £500 outlay, will the benefits/improvements be that substantial (to justify spending £500)? Is there that big a gulf between the Denon mini system and "proper" seperates?

Also regarding the speakers - would the Missions be acceptable in the short term with a view to upgrading in the near future when funds become available.

Thanks in advance

Good though the DM38 is (ideal for your room size) I would hazard a guess and say the seperates would be an improvement. However, as with all questions like this, no one is really going to know for sure. I'd urge you to go and audition, not just Marantz, listen to as much as you can because when it comes down to it only you can tell if it is £500 well spent. The MX1's should hold-up for the short term but have a think about what you would like to upgrade them to and see if you can audition the Marantz kit with the speakers you would ultimately like to upgrade to.

Maybe not much help but I doubt very much that there is anyone on this forum that can tell you if it will justify spending the £500.

I agree with Al. It is hard to tell if you will value the difference, but if you listen a lot you may well do. The Marantz also give you more scope to connect items like a turntable, if that is any interest. They will work fine with your Missions, which need to be placed on dedicated stands to sound best, not on a piece of furniture or in bookshelves. Indeed, they will get better with improving amp quality, to quite a surprising degree. But if you are seeking a more obvious bass output, a floor standing speaker will give you that (even if not greater actual fidelity).

Alternatively, if you like the all in one idea, but want to look at streaming your music, Marantz's M-CR610 is worth a look. http://www.whathifi.com/marantz/m-cr610/review

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
If you want substantial upgrade, invest all your budget in new speakers, including the money you will get selling the old ones.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Vladimir said:
If you want substantial upgrade, invest all your budget in new speakers, including the money you will get selling the old ones.

Really? You are presumably 'having a laugh'........*unknw*

davedotco said:
Vladimir said:

Really? You are presumably 'having a laugh'........*unknw*

Unfortunately I think he is being serious ... this time
regular_smile.gif

supertweeterz

May 15, 2014
Visit site
The DM38 is a very cost effective little system, so to improve on it from a sound quality perspective I think you may need better speakers to partner your new CD/ amp, even if you go with the CD6005 and PM6005. I would recommend the b&W 685S2 as they are compact enough to work in your room, but also have a well balanced, clean sound which should work well with the Marantz CD and amp. Budget for speaker cable at about £5 metre minimum also, well worth it in my opinion.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
His current system is well balanced performance and budget wise. Any leap forward will pull all other components later for upgrades to restore balance. And I strictly believe the rule of buying speakers first and buying amplifier later with adequate power and facilities for those particular speakers/room/listening habbits.

If the OP isn't an audiophile, just a music lover, active speakers paired with some gadgetry (CD, BR, BT, wifi, spotify, what have you) would be a huge burden off his shoulders , a full and immediate upgrade solution.

I gave my best to sound serious in this post. How did I score? *angel*

fallfanmike

Oct 18, 2014
Visit site
Thanks to everyone taking the time to impart their advice - it looks like the best bet would be to audition some kit and see if there really is that much of a difference. Whether the difference would justify the outlay or not....I am not so sure. It would be very interesting (for me anyway) to see What Hifi do an honest comparison of a compact system like the Denon (DM38 or 39) with a low cost entry level cd/amp such as the Marantz of which they wax lyrical.

Vladimir thanks for your replies too but I can confirm that I only listen to my cds on the denon, and occasionally link my ipod via the USB for convenience. I have absolutely zero interest in Spotify et al.

Thanks again everyone.

TRENDING THREADS