Up to 10 films that you loved, but are generally considered naff.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Ok. As a follow on to the top 10 films thread...Name up to 10 films that you loved, but that were generally panned.

I have to start with one of my alltime favorite films, and the one that prompted this thread...

AI. Yes it was cheesy, but I adored this film. And it is one of only a handfull of films I have watched more than twice.

Hulk. (2003) I really enjoyed it.
Daredevil (with Ben Affleck) ... One of my favourite superhero films. Miles better than any of the X-men IMO, and I have watched this one at least 5 times.
Spawn (1997) - Fantastic film IMO, yet a miserable 4.7 on IMDB

And one from earlier...

Surviving the game (with Ice T and Rutger Hauer)... By numbers thriller about a man hunted like an animal, but I loved it...!

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
My main one is Octopussy. I think it`s derided because of the title and of course people jump on the bandwagon as they do but I think it`s a really good Bond film. By the way, did I ever mention that I once met Roger Moore?
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

fr0g:Ok. As a follow on to the top 10 films thread...Name up to 10 films that you loved, but that were generally panned.

I have to start with one of my alltime favorite films, and the one that prompted this thread...

AI. Yes it was cheesy, but I adored this film. And it is one of only a handfull of films I have watched more than twice.

Daredevil (with Ben Affleck) ... One of my favourite superhero films. Miles better than any of the X-men IMO, and I have watched this one at least 5 times.

And one from earlier...

Surviving the game (with Ice T and Rutger Hauer)... By numbers thriller about a man hunted like an animal, but I loved it...!

I quite liked the Hulk too! Interestingly, I also happen to like the X-men films (1 & 2, not the last stand). For the rest my choices are pretty mainstream, although some consider Memento to be disappointing- particularly it's simple story. Not me, I really think it's very clever- so clever in fact, no-one could possibly understand the story being told if it would have been more complicated.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
survivor:My main one is Octopussy. I think it`s derided because of the title and of course people jump on the bandwagon as they do but I think it`s a really good Bond film. By the way, did I ever mention that I once met Roger Moore?
emotion-5.gif

No, it's definately a stinker.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
fr0g:Ok. As a follow on to the top 10 films thread...Name up to 10 films that you loved, but that were generally panned.

And one from earlier...

Jackie Brown - not considered naff but deserves to be raved about and isn't - as usual with QT, unbelievable soundtrack.

Less Than Zero - early Robert Downey Jr flick - very good but I don't think it's well thought of.

Top Secret - hilarious.

What's Eating Gilbert Grape - should have been on my top ten. I've recommended it to two sets of people and they've both hated it.

HDNumpty

Jan 17, 2008
Visit site
Three Blind Mice - but Emilia Fox in it (sorry Clare)
Wierd Science
Arthur
The Fly II
Rita, Sue & Bob Too!
The Tall Guy
Truly Madly Deeply

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
HDNumpty:Three Blind Mice - but Emilia Fox in it (sorry Clare)
Wierd Science
Arthur
The Fly II
Rita, Sue & Bob Too!
The Tall Guy
Truly Madly Deeply

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
HDNumpty:Three Blind Mice - but Emilia Fox in it (sorry Clare)
Wierd Science
Arthur
The Fly II
Rita, Sue & Bob Too!
The Tall Guy
Truly Madly Deeply

Rita Sua and Bob Too is a classic!

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I love Truly Madly Deeply, too!

My Guilty Pleasures list would include:

Robin Hood Prince of Thieves

Con Air

Face Off

The Mummy

Shooting Fish

Ghost

The Bodyguard

And i'm stopping now, before (I hope) all credibility is lost!

A

Anonymous

I can think of 8, and I'm sure there's 2 more in the back of my mind!

Attack Of The Clones
Revenge of the Sith
Starship Troopers
Hulk 2003
John Rambo
Kingdom Of Heaven (has to be directors cut though)
Alien3
Predator 2

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Volcane:I can think of 8, and I'm sure there's 2 more in the back of my mind!

Attack Of The Clones
Revenge of the Sith
Starship Troopers
Hulk 2003
John Rambo
Alien3
Predator 2

Ah yes Predator 2...!
And my guiltiest sin here is... I preferred it to Predator!

A

Anonymous

fr0g:Volcane:I can think of 8, and I'm sure there's 2 more in the back of my mind!

Attack Of The Clones
Revenge of the Sith
Starship Troopers
Hulk 2003
John Rambo
Alien3
Predator 2

Ah yes Predator 2...!
And my guiltiest sin here is... I preferred it to Predator!

Actually so do I, always did and to me it's stood the test of time better too!

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Clare Newsome:

Con Air

Face Off

The Mummy

Shooting Fish

Ghost

The Bodyguard

Mmm, not sure about The Mummy, but then I did enjoy Hellboy.
emotion-4.gif

A

Anonymous

The Dark Crystal, fantastic film!

Dark City, most friends I show it to comment "it's a bit boring"...?

Warrior King, I Think Tony Jaa is the best thing since Bruce, but the film only serves the fight scenes, forget the film though..

Deep Blue Sea, Thrills and Spills!!!?... not really, bet you'll be routing for the sharks like me though!

A

Anonymous

My 10 :

The Neverending story :( Wish i would of had a Drangon to chase of bullys )Love the sound Track.

The Family man : ( Made me think about mylife ) Its good to see that life is what you make it.

The Labyrinth ( As a kid i wrote down all the song notes to learn :) , Still know every song )

Con Air ( Put the bunny back in the box ) Some of the best pick up lines ever from a movie.

Blade Runner ( Wasnt that popular when released , ( Got to me my Fav Film of all time , Fell in love with the sound Track )

Welcome to the jungle ( Really liked this film )

Lord of the Flys ( Film about some kids trapped on island for months after a plane Crash ) Great story.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Clare Newsome:

Con Air

Face Off

The Mummy

Shooting Fish

Ghost

The Bodyguard

I can get onboard with virtually all of those (especially Shooting Fish), but Face Off - really?! It's one of those films you have to watch every now and then just to remember how bad it really is!

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
thought face/off was ok, and liked con air. embarrasingly, i wasnt aware either was considered naff.

As it happens, fr0g, i really quite liked this years The Incredible Hulk (i think thats the right title), with Ed Norton. Far better than any review i heard/read led me to believe.

radovantz

Jul 25, 2008
Visit site
I think movies can be classified into 2 categories. 1st, movies for watch: 2nd, movies for sleep.

If you have installed a home theatre studio in home, try spend a night in the room while letting your system watching you sleep.

My favourite sleeping movies; Pirates of the Carribbean (trilogy), King Arthur, Sweeney Todd

Other movies that might be suitable for sleep : Lord of The Rings, Shark Boy, Big Fish

Radovantz

Smarted

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
Flash Gordan (Love It)
Vanilla Sky
Kingdom Of Heaven (The directors cut is a whole new film!)
Starship Troopers
Sniper
Legend
The Long Good Friday (soon to be rediscovered as they're making a "re-imagining", (be afraid))

That's all that springs to mind on film's that didn't get great reviews.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts