Up to £700 pounds to spend

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Hello again everyone, right I amgoing round in circles

My room is 4mx3m and I am looking to upgrade my speakers first, and the rest of my kit later.

Basic question (as I think I have my speakers sorted), floorstanders or bookshelfs with good stands!!

My shortlist is as follows

Rega R3

Monitor Audio RS6

B&W 684

or

B&W 685 + Super Dreadnoughts

Have heard all of the above with the exception of the R3's. My planned amp upgrade is probably going to be Nad 326Bee (or depending on overtime/change from the speakers etc) a Roksan Kandy 3

Just worried that the floorstanders will be too much in such a small room, any comments?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I assume you mean Rega RS3.

I am still 'nagging' our mutual friends at A-T to get the RS3's in and they promise it will be very soon. They have had demo stock of RS5's and RS1's (which were superb) recently so I don't think it will be long.

You and me may be fighting over them if they are as good as I hope!

You really should have heard those Rega RS1's (with Naim Nait XS). Cor! And the 'special' finish in piano gloss black was tasty. (Wife still prefers wood though.)

Don't worry about R3's or RS3's in your room. Mine are playing across the width of my medium sized living room (and are pulled out 18" from the wall though they dont need to be) and are fine. The forward facing ports and side facing bass speakers give lots of positioning fexibility and a suprisingly big sound without any of that critical 'sweet-spot' problem. No toeing-in needed either.

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Hi Chebby, must admit I am hoping the RS3's are as good as I am expecting, that will make the decision easier. Hope there is not a long delivery time on them, there will be a couple of tents outside A-T LOL

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
Go for the B & W 685's with the super dreadnoughts stands. it will sound brilliant, even more so when you get a Roksan amp.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I have actually heard both and the Rega RS1's wee all over the 685's. (If it were not for the prospect of the RS3's I would have bought them on the spot. I almost did. And I was only passing the shop by chance.)

Ambrose

Feb 19, 2008
Visit site
Hi Chebby,
Have you got a long memory????

I am about to part with cash for Rega RS1 and hopefully a second hand Nait 5i-2.
I will be using DVD player/DAC source for now but wondered what source you heard the NAIT XS and RS1 with?
I would be interested for future reference as I would be looking to get a CD player. My first thought would be used Naim CD5i-2. I used to have CD5i which I loved.
Thanks and agree the RS1 speakers are really good / individual.
Perhaps not speaker best suited to my main music taste Heavy rock / metal but will work very well where I want them. Home demo proved that! Main thing is they are engaging and time well.
Shame I have to get speakers out of toddlers reach as RS3 sound cool!
Thanks
Ambrose

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts