universal remote for different manufacturers?

Kevin Stephens

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
When I get around to an amplifier upgrade I may end up wiht a different remote for my amp, CD and tuner. Is it possible to get a single (programable?) universal remote for all systems? This is not a problem for TV/DVD etc because the instructions come with list of codes for all TV/DVD etc makes. I've not seen HiFi makes on the lists

Paul.

Logitech make the best ones. My Onkyo amp came with a programable remote, (all be it not as good as the Logitech) so that may be worth considering if you want to save a few quid.

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I have a fairly cheap One4All which does 8 devices. I recently updated it by playing back audio files that contain new device codes via the web. Mine is willfully difficult to program & only remembers a small number of learning commands. Logitech maybe a better choice of make.

Another option is to use a so-called smartphone such as an iPhone or Android based model. The iPhone ones either have a dongle that plugs in, acting as an IR transciever or as a puck-like device that transmits commands recieved over Bluetooth. The advantage of the smartphone route is that you can program the touchscreen display by naming buttons or using recognisable icons. My remote has a row of 4 buttons that can be assigned functions but I have to remember which one does what as they are marked A, B, C & D.

Another issue I have with mine is learning volume controls - remote control of my M-DAC's volume goes up & down in 2dB steps whereas the audiolab's own one does 1dB steps. At least the volume control on mine works all the time - I don'y have to select the DAC 1st to adjust volume so quite a bit of thought has gone into its useability. You can spend £1000 on a universal remote - you get a fully programable display much like on a phone but at a price!

My Pure Evoke Flow radio's remote control doesn't use IR but radio - works in my bedroom under the duvet but nearly all remote control uses IR.

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
I use a logitech harmony, breeze to setup cause you use a computer instead of pushing codes, you can set up activities such as listen to cds, where you can change tracks and control the amp's volume without having to switch devices manually.....highly recommend it, only the battery life is a bit short...but u can always get rechargeable aaa's.

bob.g

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I have a Logitech Harmony One, and it is absolutely superb, both to use and to hold. Controls up to 15 devices (I think) and is a breeze to programme and use. Highly recommended.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts