Universal Remote Controls

stevee1966

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
I've now got 4 remote controls lying around the room causing general untidiness so am considering buying a universal remote to take control of all my devices (plasma / dvd / sky+ / 5.1 sound amp) I was wondering if anyone had any opinions as to if these are any good and if anyone has any recommendations for a certain model ? The one i was looking at was the One For All URC 8305 3rd Generation Kameleon 5 Device Remote. As long as it performs all the basic operations of switching the Input Channels on the tv, switching the sound source on my amp, etc, then i'm happy. Thanks for any info

VoodooDoctor

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
I have a Kameleon which works fine and does all the things that you mention. I am considering changing to a Logitech Harmony, though. Have you had a look at them?

A

Anonymous

Yeah, i'm in the same boat. I got my Logtech Harmony 525 last night tthough and it's sorted the lot. I wasn't overly impressed with the build quality - it squeeks when I squeeze it ... as far as functionality goes though it's excellant and setup was relativly painless, around 1 hour from out of box to sit back and enjoy.

i do have one or 2 tweaks still needed but they're very small and both have a simple workaround.

stevee1966

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
Bought the Harmony 525 - what a nightmare. I'm no technophode by any stretch of the imagination but this remote tries to be far too clever, but still not getting the basics correct. When choosing SKY via AV1 or DVD via HDMI it always selects the incorrect input device.

Every time i make a change to try to resolve then an internet connection is needed to make the amendments and download the new configuration. It takes ages to make the smallest change and i'm running on broadband. I can feel my life draining from my as the update progress bar updates (slowly).

I've tried their phone tech support but kept on hold for ages so have given up. The remote is now in the drawer along with all my others it was meant to replace. I simply do not have the time for this piece of s**** and feel i've totally wasted £50.

FoxJA

Aug 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="stevee1966"] When choosing SKY via AV1 or DVD via HDMI it always selects the incorrect input device. [/quote]

It should only choose the input that you told it too.

I have the 525 and found it easy to set up and use, even my wife has done it! It's easily the best remote I've had.

stevee1966

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
Obviously that's what it 'should' do, but what it should do, and what it actually does are 2 different things. During a Watch DVD or Watch Sky type activity, it doesn't even switch the tv set on from standby, or off again when finished.

It's garbage.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Does the TV have a single button on the remote for on/off, or separate on and standby buttons? That's usually the cause of such problems, and can easily be solved by running the advanced settings or troubleshooter in the set-up software.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts