Unison research and audio analogue amps.....

bay24

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
Hi I am thinking about future upgrades and I was thinking amp first. I am deffinately going to be going second hand and was thinking about the above makes aaa bit of a different option to the naim/Cyrus recommendations. Could anyone advise on their respective sound qualities and what they are good or bad at and how they would go with my system. Would also be good to know which models are the better ones. I will be looking at the lower end of their ranges probably around £500 second hand (but poss a bit more :)) Any help would be great.

bluebrazil

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
to be honest, unless you find a real secondhand bargain at that price point, i think you should enjoy your already capable 740a and save up a bit more dosh. it might help to know your tastes in music and maybe even what sort of sound you like ( i know its very hard to describe).

bay24

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
Really?! I have seen unison research unico amps go for around this sort of money and they are £1500 new. Ithought that could be quite a big step up. I have seen people on here say that the 740 is not that great and that cheaper newer models are better. Not sure I wnt to spend much more than that at the moment just had a baby boy so funds are relatively small.
In terms of music tast i like all sorts of stuff, indie electronica, acoustic, rock, bit of classical and jazz at times. Recent albums I have liked; the xx, massive attacks new one, foals, wild beasts, grinderman.

Sabby

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
I have the Unison Research Unico and can tell you straight off that it's the best amp that I have heard at this price point. The sound is so natural and real, neither too warm or cold and analytical. It just lets the music flow without adding or taking away anything. The midrange is absolutely gorgeous and if you close your eyes, the performer is right there in front of you. It also has enough power to drive most high quality speakers. Add to that a build quality that is amongst the best that I have seen(it weighs a solid 15kgs). I think by now you know that I really love this amp. Buy with confidence, you won't regret it!

bay24

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
That sounds quite like what I am looking for!! do you have the unico or the unico primo? Do you know what the differences between the two are?

Sabby

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
The Unico P has replaced the Unico. As far as I can tell there is no difference between the two other than the P has a sub out which is very useful if you want to intergrate your main speakers with a subwoofer. Read reviews of the Unico P at Techradar and the original Unico at 6 Moons.

Sabby

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
bay24:That's great, thanks for your insights!

My pleasure. I sincerely hope that you can land one of these amps as they are really something special!

bay24

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
JoelSim:
They are both very natural sounding.

My old AA was possibly a little on the mellow side.

Ha! I came close to putting in an offer in your amp when it was on eBay (had abut mire spare cash then!), do you feel your unison cd player is mellow or more natural? How long do the valves take to warm up? The reason I ask is that I use the hifi for tv sound and I dont think the lady of the house would want to wait too long for the tv to turn on!

bay24

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
JoelSim:
They are both very natural sounding.

My old AA was possibly a little on the mellow side.

Ha! I came close to putting in an offer in your amp when it was on eBay (had abut mire spare cash then!), do you feel your unison cd player is mellow or more natural? How long do the valves take to warm up? The reason I ask is that I use the hifi for tv sound and I dont think the lady of the house would want to wait too long for the tv to turn on!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts