RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
I don't know if you can help me - I am considering an upgrade but
not entirely sure how to proceed.

I feel my current system lacks the sparkle and clarity of much cheaper
systems I've heard.

My system is Denon 1906, AE Evo Aegis 5-1, Sony S350, Sky HD in a
rectangular lounge 11x18ft, set up across one end 11x11.

Would a Denon or Yammy upgrade be the right way forward or is my system unbalanced
in some way?

Hopefully you can assist me.

Kind regards

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Hello,

I think it would be useful to know what the cheaper systems were, and what rooms they were in.

However, have you spent some time trying out different positions for your speakers, and various settings?

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Hi Kinda

I was looking at a 3D samsung so I guess it was a samsung system and Ive heard a Sony with tiny speakers which sounded good.

I have tried lots of positions for speakers etc - the 1906 only gives a basic auto setup by modern standards but I continually experiment. I do wonder if its the room dimensions sometimes.

Thanks for the reply

A

Anonymous

You have a very nice speaker system and your blu-ray is fine too. If you like the Denon sound, then an upgrade to a Denon 1910 should do the trick.

If you want a more muscular and dynamic sound, try an Onkyo 607.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Mmmm - I guess the Denon 1911, 2310, 2311 would do it then? Or maybe Pioneer VSX-1020.

Willing to spend a few bucks but I guess Im worried that the upgrade would be a disappointment.

Just hope my 50+ year old ears arnt gonna let me down ! :)

Cheers

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Hello,

I can't really believe that the combination you've got can't match a Samsung or sony all-in-one system.

If it is the setup, I wondered maybe it's worth getting a sound pressure meter and doing the setup using that? I think they can be had for around £40 or 50.

Also, have you tried the THX audio setup that sweeps through the frequency range and might identify a hole? Not sure if that would really cause a clarity issue, but could if say lower frequencies were drowning out the higher ones.

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Also, I was reading a book lately about room acoustics, (not finished it yet!).

Potentially I guess reflections could muffle the sound. Don't know if this would be eliminated by calibrating with sound pressure meter.

Does the room have plenty of soft furnishings, carpet, and so on, or lots of harder surfaces?

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions. I think room acoustics are paramount. Maybe the settee against the back wall though it can't be changed. Soft furnishings are probably average for a domestic lounge.

I think there is room for expert discussion on room acoustics though at the same time few can alter them significantly. Especially those with wives !
emotion-1.gif

Hopefully I will get some more discussion - even if my particular problem remains unresolved.

Thanks everyone - I'm not gonna give up !

Cheers

A

Anonymous

RobinKidderminster:

Thanks for the suggestions. I think room acoustics are paramount. Maybe the settee against the back wall though it can't be changed. Soft furnishings are probably average for a domestic lounge.

I think there is room for expert discussion on room acoustics though at the same time few can alter them significantly. Especially those with wives !
emotion-1.gif

Hopefully I will get some more discussion - even if my particular problem remains unresolved.

Thanks everyone - I'm not gonna give up !

Cheers

First off great that your not going to give up

Also that you realise the important of room acoustics and the effect that they have ,which is 50% + of the sound you hear.

Your speakers should be firing down the 18ft length of the room if possible, is there anyway that you can temporarily try your speakers like that to hear the difference it makes ,even if it is not practical permanently .

You also mention 11ft X 11ft ,square rooms are the worst dimensions to have ,although I suspect you mean that you use 11ft of the 18ft lenght of the room , this will unbalance the sound from the first acoustic reflection point of your room as well.

Correcting speaker position and room issues will give far better results and be cheaper than blaming the equipment.

You can demo a new amp and like it in the store but if you put it in a system that has bad positioning you might still be disappointed ,and more frustrated ,so a home demo sale or return would be essential in your position.

There is probably other things that may help , new speaker cables with silver apparently make systems brighter , moving the speakers ,even where they are by just a few inches , away from the back wall or corners can make big differences (don't have any speaker right in a corner though)

So many variables I know ,but please ensure you have maximised the positioning of what you have before spending money thinking a new amp or speaker will help, sure it will sound different , its bound to.

P.S As suggested by others consider setting up with a sound pressure meter and a test disc , especially speaker phase would be a good move and could show up any issues.

A meter is an essential piece of kit IMHO

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Thanks lesmor for a very interesting and informative response. Yes rooms dont move easily but I will certainly do some testing. I am considering a yammy 2065 but your comments will make me pause for a bit of testing.

Also - maybe a different tack but much of my cinema is from SkyHD - is it not true that any improvements with a better amp will be lost with their limited sound bandwidth.

Cheers again

A

Anonymous

RobinKidderminster:

Thanks lesmor for a very interesting and informative response. Yes rooms dont move easily but I will certainly do some testing. I am considering a yammy 2065 but your comments will make me pause for a bit of testing.

Also - maybe a different tack but much of my cinema is from SkyHD - is it not true that any improvements with a better amp will be lost with their limited sound bandwidth.

Cheers again

I dont have my Sky HD box connected to my AV reciever so dont know how good it is , but the best you will get from Sky HD is Dolby Digital 5.1 surround

You wont get this sound via your HDMI cable , you need an optical cable, and you need to configure your box to output 5.1

Glad you found my reply of some help , by trying the speakers firing down the 18ft dimension you might find you can move the sofa into the middle of the room away from the back wall?

If not perhaps you could do something to creat a first refection point on the open space with your existing layout , such as a tall dresser unit (wife friendly/) or a bookshelf to create a phantom wall to bounce/reflect the sound back to the listening area.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
It sounds like you have some experience with listening 'environments'. The theory is fine but most people have a fixed room and probably few options in terms of moving furniture etc. The web seems a difficult place to find good advice (exemplar your 'phantom wall'). I am sure many of us good tweak our surroundings without upsetting the boss too much and without moving house.

I'll certainly try some suggestions. PS - My SkyHD box works fine and some progs are good for sound (Pacific seems good). My point was - is it worth trying to squeeze quality from a source which is finite and at the hands of Sky. Wonder how SkyHD sounds with some seriously good kit ?

Cheers again - food for thought.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts