Question Upgrade Advice welcomed

Swatters

Jun 29, 2020
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm finally in a position to start upgrading my nearly 30 year old HiFi setup. I'm firmly in the budget end of the spectrum, but open to suggestions. One of the reasons primary reasons to upgrade is that it would be nice to add an optical input to my Amp so that I can add my TV to the system. Considering the age of the system I'd be interested in how modern options compare and where I can go ...

I currently have a Denon PMA-920 powering a pair of Tannoy 6o7s.

I have looked at the NAD D 3020 (V2), Marantz PM6006, and the ONKYO A-9010 as options. But as my Amp can be split, should I look to upgrade just the pre-amp or the power amp and add a DAC? Or is there a "budget" separates path I could take instead of the integrated option (As you can see I'm open to all suggestions and may just be digging a hole). Maybe my amp outperforms these options (unlikely) and I should just add a DAC?

I've not considered changing the speakers, but maybe that will have to be considered down the line as technology has advanced considerably with speaker design since.

Many thanks to those whose knowledge is way beyond mine and willing to throw me some ideas.

David

ClarkNovember

May 24, 2009
Visit site
Doing a quick Google of your amp, it seems a step above the amps you mention in terms of power and the original retail price. You might find that they are a bit of a backwards step.

Also worth noting that the U.K. version of the Onkyo 9010 doesn’t have digital inputs.

To start off, you could get a cheap DAC like this one and hook up your TV:

You might be surprised by the results.

Swatters

Jun 29, 2020
Visit site
Doing a quick Google of your amp, it seems a step above the amps you mention in terms of power and the original retail price. You might find that they are a bit of a backwards step.

Also worth noting that the U.K. version of the Onkyo 9010 doesn’t have digital inputs.

To start off, you could get a cheap DAC like this one and hook up your TV:

You might be surprised by the results.

Thank you, I think you're right.

There's nothing wrong with the amp and it's easy to believe that the new ones are better. I've ordered the DAC, and I'm sure I'l be more than happy with that and not having spent a few hundred quid for nothing.

Cheers

Reactions: ClarkNovember

ClarkNovember

May 24, 2009
Visit site
I used one of those DACs when we were doing up our house and had to set up our TV etc in a different room and it worked a treat.

I then bought one for my Dad when he asked me how to hook up his (much more expensive than my) analogue only amp to his TV. He’s very happy with it. Hope you have a similar experience!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts