Unable to get 1080p

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello All,

I have recently bought a Sony BDP-S350 Blueray player and have connected it to my system so as to watch some high def content. I have a Sony KDL-40W2000 LCD and an Onkyo TX-SR605 amp. As far as I know all of them support 1080p (except the TV won't handle 24 fps). Yet, for some reason when I play a blueray it only outputs 480p. All the components are connected using HDMI cables.

I have gone through all the menus countless times but am unable to see what I am doing wrong. Does any one have any suggestions please? I have the Onkyo input selection set to DVD for HDMI input 1. An interesting thing to note is that when I view the Sony's Blueray menu, the TV runs at 1080p. It is only when I start the movie that it all goes pear shaped.

Thanks,
James

A

Anonymous

as far as i know the sony2000w model does not output 24p ,but is 1080p.only the later 3000w models and above output 24p

A

Anonymous

Hi,

Quick update. If I connect the blueray player directly to the TV and bypass the receiver I get 1080p. Something to do with the Onkyo I think. Does anyone know any settings on the receiver that would actually downscale a picture?

James

A

Anonymous

Yeah. Cheers, I know about the 24 fps. Didn't expect it do that. But all is good now. For some reason, probably my mistake, but after re-plugging the blueray player from the TV directly back into the onkyo it now displays 1080p. I needed to also change the settings on the blueray player to allow the Onkyo to handle the decoding of the sound.

A

Anonymous

HIA,SORTED SORRY I COULD NOT GET BACK TO YOU SOONER BUT MY WIFE WAS MOANING WHEN I WAS TRYING TO POTCH WITH MY 606.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

what settings have you changed to get your amp to decode the sound from your sony 350 blu ray?

I changed the BD audio setting to 'direct', and the dolby digital and DTS to not use the 'downmix PCM'.

Is that the correct way of using the amp to decode?

As far as I am concerned, I have done it correctly, as the amp now reads 'trueHD' when playing a blu ray disc with 'trueHD' on it.

Could you please confirm my assumption is correct.....

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
I think that's what I did too. ÿUnfortunately, as others have said, the manual is by no means clear over the 'direct' setting. ÿOther than that, I think it's a great machine (especially at the original Amazon pre-order price!)

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Sorreltiger:I think that's what I did too. Unfortunately, as others have said, the manual is by no means clear over the 'direct' setting. Other than that, I think it's a great machine (especially at the original Amazon pre-order price!)

Yes, the manual is a bit poor in parts. Especially the 'BD Audio Setting' to either 'mix' or 'direct'. All the manual had to say was that one would bitstream the sound to be decoded by the amp, and the other would be decoded by the player and sent to the amp.

I have to admit that I am addicted to watching blu rays on this machine. The picture and sound quality is truely amazing!!!! Dvd's perform extremely well too. The dvd picture quality is much better than my old Panasonic dvd recorder, upscaled by the onkyo 606 to 720p.

Roll on another evening of watching blu rays........................

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts