UK/Australia Compatability

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have a query about international inter-operability.

I have a UK Xbox 360 and a UK Yamaha RX-V3900 receiver which I connect to each other via a UK QED HDMI 1.3 cable. I have tried to connect the receiver to an Australian Sansui HD LCD (unknown model) via a UK HDMI-DVI cable and have been able to quite happily play UK XBox games. When I try to play a UK DVD on the XBox I get audio, but the screen goes blank, and eventually an error message appears saying "one or more of the components may not be HDCP compliant." I am wondering if there is a fundamental incompatability between the UK receiver and the Australian TV (despite games working perfectly) or if it is this TV which is an issue because it is an old model

The TV doesn’t have any HDMI ports, however it displays a setting when playing XBox games that it is playing at 1920 x 1080 at 60Hz. I’ve changed the resolution of output from games on the receiver to 1080i/720p/476p, etc, but they all give the same problem…games work fine for audio and video, DVDs only play audio.

The reason I have an Australian TV is that I’ve moved to Australia and shipped all my kit over except the TV as mine was old and would’ve taken up too much room, so I acquired one over here. Purchasing a new TV in Australia is not out of the question, but I’d rather know up front if it wasn’t going to work with my UK kit as I may need to buy a new Blu-Ray player as well and would need to budget for that.

davejberry

Mar 29, 2009
Visit site
As I understand it, the tv system in oz is the same as the uk. It sounds like a HDMI/DVI handshake problem. Can you take ur player to a friend and try it on a display with HDMI input.

You could also connect player to ur tv using component cables instead.

A

Anonymous

The DVDs I tried were all UK DVDs which I knew played OK back on my old UK TV.

I suspect the issue is either the HDMI/DVI handshake or the TV is just so old and rubbish that the 3900's HDCP copy proetection stuff doesn't like it. (Can you see where I'm going here??) I might need to buy a new TV!

I'll try and get an up to date TV with HDMI to test...we're looking at buying a smaller one for a bedroom, so that can test the theory. Haven't tried component, I'll need to see if the TV has those inputs, although they seem to call inputs different names over here. Don't even know if the RX-V3900 has component out, I'll have a look tonight.

Thanks!

A

Anonymous

Just in case anyone was interested, I got to the bottom of this... The old TV has been replaced as it was the problem...it didn't support HDCP, which meant the Receiver wouldn't display a picture for HDCP content. I also purchased an Australian Blu Ray player which had exactly the same issue, even when connected directly and no receiver involved. The manual suggested that some DVI connected devices may not be HDCP compliant and would only display noise rather than a picture. I bought a new TV (Samsung PS50C7000) which had no problem at all with xBox, Blu Ray or anything else I threw at it. Problem solved!

A

Anonymous

Don't know if it's relevant, but Australia uses a different version of PAL.

Tom Moreno

Nov 30, 2008
Visit site
Grottyash said:
Don't know if it's relevant, but Australia uses a different version of PAL.

Not really relevant with HD. The OP got it spot on. The TV didn't have any HDMI inputs and wasn't HDCP compliant. Xbox games do not require an HDCP monitor as the original Xbox 360 was released before HDMI and it was only added to later models, but because when you use the HDMI output the Xbox now upscales DVDs to HD resolution an HDCP compliant monitor is required for this function. This is why the OP was able to use his games in HD fine but got the error message when trying to watch a DVD.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts