Types of Speakers

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
More or less I am sorted out on electronics, I want to spend some time towards the speakers.

I tried to find a good website which explains different speaker types and inherent advantages as well as disadvantages from home hi fi point of view.

I am hoping some of you have done some research and have some experience already and so I would like to learn and benefit from it.

--------

There is passive, true active and other acitve (where an amplifier is just clamped to the speaker box). I understand till here.

I do not know much about acitve cross overs or box speakers (the traditional), electrostatic speakers, hybird speakers, non directional speakers (like mbl)

Any literature would be of help but more would be your experience why you chose your current speakers over the other ones.

My quest is to understans much about the reasons one type of speaker over other kinds but not to get a paritcular model / brand than the other.

Do let me know

This was an interesting thread a while back which cover electrostatics and other panel types, often the most alluring and elusive of speakers.

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/electrostatics-brilliant-answer-or-impractical-solution

As to choices, I found my Sonus fabers after hearing their original high-end designs about 30 years ago. When eventually the 'trickle-down' meant they had models at around £2000 (in the late 90's) I had to hear them. Before that I had Celestion SL600s, which were small boxes with aerolam cabinets (no wood in sight) and then modern metal-dome tweeters. They had a slightly drooping treble, which made them perfect with early cd players from the late 80's. Had they not been nicked, I would never have afforded the SFs, as the SL600s were a prize!

Never really thought seriously about non-box speakers as they mostly need lots of space (large room) and fabulous amps. Were I buying today, I'd be seeking out ribbon tweeters as I've been seriously impressed by the likes of some Elac and MA models with that feature. But experts with regular designs like PMC are great too.

Good luck in your quest.

WishTree said:
More or less I am sorted out on electronics, I want to spend some time towards the speakers.

I tried to find a good website which explains different speaker types and inherent advantages as well as disadvantages from home hi fi point of view.

I am hoping some of you have done some research and have some experience already and so I would like to learn and benefit from it.

--------

There is passive, true active and other acitve (where an amplifier is just clamped to the speaker box). I understand till here.

I do not know much about acitve cross overs or box speakers (the traditional), electrostatic speakers, hybird speakers, non directional speakers (like mbl)

Any literature would be of help but more would be your experience why you chose your current speakers over the other ones.

My quest is to understans much about the reasons one type of speaker over other kinds but not to get a paritcular model / brand than the other.

Do let me know

Hi WishTree

This http://www.atcloudspeakers.co.uk/downloads/CompanyProfile.pdf gives some idea as to some of the different aspects of speaker design (including active v passive), room, References, etc.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
I heard a pair of full-range ribbon speakers called Analysis Audio - Omega not long ago and they were pretty special, still they come with a £15k price tag so should be…

The room I heard them in was really far too small for this type of speaker but the sound they produced was huge. Very nice indeed. The room was probably only 3 meters by 4 meters but I’d imagine in a room 2 or even 3 times that size where they could breath (importantly with this type of speaker they need several feet behind them to sound at their best) they would sound incredible given ample power.

http://www.whathifi.com/review/omega

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
nopiano said:
Good luck in your quest.

Thank you for your reference to WHF thread as well as your consideration for your choice. I am currently looking at some Audio Physic speakers with side loaded woofer which got me thinking. Then the other day I heard some Elac speakers which had an amazing purity on the high frequency due to their ribbon tweeter.

It looks like I am alot sensitve to high frequencies and so I want to look at other possibilities with out a comprimise on wider sweet spot as the system will be heard by more than one person at a time.

I will explore more on the ribbon tweeters

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi WishTree

This http://www.atcloudspeakers.co.uk/downloads/CompanyProfile.pdf gives some idea as to some of the different aspects of speaker design (including active v passive), room, References, etc.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Thanks Rick. Unfortunately could not open the look but the other link from hifi world is working!

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
paradiziac said:
A brief guide here:

http://www.hi-fiworld.co.uk/index.php/loudspeakers/66-knowledge.html

great link! Thank you very much!! I do not have the room for a planar speaker but that would satisfy me soundwise. I am more into have the smoothest high frequency. Bass was never a problem as I have sub woofer to compliment and my sub never made me miss anything on the bottom end.

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
bluedroog said:
I heard a pair of full-range ribbon speakers called Analysis Audio - Omega not long ago and they were pretty special, still they come with a £15k price tag so should be…

The room I heard them in was really far too small for this type of speaker but the sound they produced was huge. Very nice indeed. The room was probably only 3 meters by 4 meters but I’d imagine in a room 2 or even 3 times that size where they could breath (importantly with this type of speaker they need several feet behind them to sound at their best) they would sound incredible given ample power.

http://www.whathifi.com/review/omega

Thank you! But definetly way out of my league, pricewise!

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Tekton speakers - Has any one heard them?

The reason why I ask is there are many reviews around which say that they are the very best at a great price.

(honestly, I am taking this with a pinch of salt, as I have recently burnt my fingers with DAC. Reviewers said Grant Fidelity TubeDAC is like best sub 1K DAC and when I ordered the DAC, i only realized that the transformer makes enough noise that you can not appreciate the sound from the DAC at lower volumes especially if the DAC is on your working table and trust me it is not the best DAC under 1K. finally had to sell the DAC for half of purchased price as the manufacture say that the transformer is normally not completely quite :twisted: )

WishTree said:
Then the other day I heard some Elac speakers which had an amazing purity on the high frequency due to their ribbon tweeter.

It looks like I am alot sensitve to high frequencies and so I want to look at other possibilities with out a comprimise on wider sweet spot as the system will be heard by more than one person at a time.

I will explore more on the ribbon tweeters

As well as Elac, I heard some lovely Quadral Aurums last year. Recognisably 'ribbon' in their sweetness. Patchily distributed over here in the UK, but worth seeking out.

WishTree said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi WishTree

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Thanks Rick. Unfortunately could not open the look but the other link from hifi world is working!

Hi WishTree

Your welcome.

I don't why this is but alternatively copy and paste the link on Google :)

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

atticus

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
WishTree said:
paradiziac said:
A brief guide here:

http://www.hi-fiworld.co.uk/index.php/loudspeakers/66-knowledge.html

great link! Thank you very much!! I do not have the room for a planar speaker but that would satisfy me soundwise. I am more into have the smoothest high frequency. Bass was never a problem as I have sub woofer to compliment and my sub never made me miss anything on the bottom end.

Hello WishTree, I would be very happy to recommend the ADM40 from AVi HiFi. It is an Active floorstander and has the smoothest mid range I have ever heard. Well worth a listen!

paradiziac

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Not heard them, but XTZ are worth a look if you want ribbon tweeters.

Another type of speaker is the full range speaker...look for speakers with the Jordan JX92S driver. Very clear and fast with holographic soundstage.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts