two different shops two different opinions ( Monitor Audio VS Focal Chorus )

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have a Pioneer 868dvi player and a Pioneer VSX - AX5 - i amp with some very good interconnections. I'm looking for an AV speaker package to compliment this set,my initial thought was the Monitor Audio RS series with the RS8's up front and the fx surrounds. However after a disscusion with my local audio shop they informed me that the Pioneer amps tend to run on the britter side and paired with the Monitor's this would be even brighter. They have suggested the Focal Chorus 800 v's, as they are a more relaxed speaker and paired with the Pioneer amp would be a very natural sound. I liked what they said it made a lot of sense, however i sort another opinion from another well respected audio shop and they said "the the Monitor Audio's would be a better match, and that the first shop had advised me this due to being a distributor for Focal speakers". This would have been a great arguement if the second shop wasn't a distributor for Monitor Audio. So i was wondering if anyone had a non-biased opinoin on the facts rather than just a sales pitch from the shop?

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
have you asked either shop if you can audition both speakers using your amp? I know it may be extra hasstle for you to lug your amp down to the shops with you but the only way to decide on your speaker choice is with your own ears and go for the sound that you prefer. I had a simular situation when I was upgrading my speakers and funnily enough was recomended the Focal range, so I aranged it with my local dealer and too along my Yamaha RXV2500 a tried them out. The end result was I ended up with KEF IQ9'S as I prefered the sound that they gave in conjunction with my amp.

A

Anonymous

A very good idea, but i'm working away for the rest of the year and don't have a great amount of time spare. however with such a cost i should probably make the time. thank you for suggestion

A

Anonymous

Ive only heard the monitor audio's so i cant comment on the focals but the monitor audio's are a very bright speaker and MIGHT not go to well with pioneer. if the focals have a silk tweeter they may be better suited.

A

Anonymous

Thanks again D.J.KRIME i called my local hifi shop ( the Focal shop ) and they are going to get a set of monitor RS8's in for me, i'll take my amp in to the shop and i can demo both sets of speakers off my amp to get a real idea of performance with my own equipment

A

Anonymous

Although stores will of course send you in the direction of what they sell, I have RS6's and from what I've heard of the Pioneer kit I'd say the first opinion may well be spot on as both are renowned for being bright. That said, as with everyone else's advice here, go listen before you buy. Just a note on the RS8's - make sure to give the RS6's a listen too.
I listened to BR5, RS6 & RS8 when I got mine just recently and chose the RS6's - for my tastes far better definition and clarity and now they're run in - more than enough bass. The store owner advised me prior to listening that he thought the RS8's were a bit too bass heavy and I have to agree with him - though you may prefer it that way of course - depends what you listen to.
Unless the RS8's suit your amp etc better or you just prefer more bass definitely consider the RS6's and spend the rest you save on some good speaker cables - I went with Van Den Hul's 'Tea Track' - biwire version of the CS122.
Can't comment on the Focal's as I've never heard em. Hope this helps and doesnt confuse you further.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts