tweeters blown please help!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello,

Im after some general advice for what possible reasons there could be for both sets of tweeters in my JBL's ES100 to blow out? I knew one set had definetely gone as nothing was coming out of them, the other set of tweeters on the other speaker sounded really dull...so i bought two sets of tweeters from JBL and replaced the one that was completely knackered first. It then sounded 100% better as youd expect, it was then i could compare the two speakers and realised that the other 'dull' sounding one was infact on its way out too! so now with them both replaced my speakers now sound 200% better!!

But i want to know why this has happened to my speakers? Is it clipping from the amp? poor sound waves? underpowered speakers?

The amp/receiver is an Eltax 6.1 channel supposedly kicking out 6x92w (probably the cause of my problem)

any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Incase your not familiar with the JBL's:

Frequency response (–3dB): 32Hz – 40kHz

Max. recommended amplifier power*: 250W

Power handling (continuous/peak): 125W/500W

Sensitivity (2.83V/1m): 91dB

Nominal impedance: 8 Ohms

Crossover frequencies: 450Hz, 3000Hz – 24dB/octave; 12000Hz – 18dB/octave

chudleighpaul

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
Clipping normally occurs when low powered amps are used at high volumes, this is when the damage is done to speakers.

I have a pair of home made and home designed speakers with a nominal power handling of 8 wattts and have frequently used them with amps with 100 watt power output with no ill effects.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts