what amp for JBL ES100? blowing tweeters!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,

Im a complete novice to all this, but my dilemma is that im not sure what amp should go with my JBL ES100's?

Ive just blown a tweeter in one of them, which ill hopefully be able to repair by buying spares. I also saw somewhere that an underpowered amp could blow the tweeters? The amp i currently have is a cheap and cheerful eltax AVR-800 6.1 channel (6 x 92w)

it is currently bridged and biwired to the speakers, but im thinking the speakers are under powered......?

JBL ES100 specs

Frequency response (–3dB): 32Hz – 40kHz

Max. recommended amplifier power*: 250W

Power handling (continuous/peak): 125W/500W

Sensitivity (2.83V/1m): 91dB

Nominal impedance: 8 Ohms

Crossover frequencies: 450Hz, 3000Hz – 24dB/octave; 12000Hz – 18dB/octave

Low-frequency transducer: Dual 250mm (10") PolyPlas, shielded

Midrange transducer: 100mm (4") PolyPlas, shielded

High-frequency transducer: 19mm (3/4") Titanium-laminate dome, shielded; EOS waveguide

Ultrahigh-frequency transducer: 19mm (3/4") Polyester-film, ring-radiator, shielded; EOS waveguide

Dimensions with grille (H x W x D): 1149mm x 305mm x 422mm (45-1/4" x 12" x 16-5/8")

Weight per speaker: 29kg (63.9 lb)

*i also need the amplifier to have hdmi input/output for ps3, sky hd etc*

any advice would be greatly appreciated, my budget is approx £300.

Regards,

Matt

rishisaran

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
Try Onkyo, Pioneer, Denon or Matzang. Do compare the power output and frequency handling per channel of your prospective amp with that of your JBLs. Under power amp should have blown up your amp and not your tweeter unless there is something more to this. Hope this helps.

Amps nowadays come with inputs and outputs for hdmi. Do check that these are not just switch inputs to make up for the less number of hdmi in HD tvs pre 2010 but fully functioning Full HDMI inputs. If they are then you can drive full audio from your amp even without turning or switching on your TV.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
OK, some general background.

Most driver failures in loudspeakers are caused by overdriving underpowered amplifiers. At or around their limit such amplifiers can produce some very nasty effects, hard clipping causes the signal to be 'squared off' which implies a lot of high frequency energy that can burn out tweeters, similarly 'transient DC offsett' can occur that pushes bass drivers to distruction is a common problem with some designs.

Amplifiers can be overdriven in different ways, the most distructive is usually the fault of a power supply that can not keep up with the demands of the output stages, power supply 'sag' can cause the amplifiers to be overdriven well below their rated output with the effects noted above.

Other factors come into play too, your playback level is important too, fairly obviously, but injudicious use of tone controls (eq) can be just as bad, remember lifting your bass level by, say, 6db requires 4 times the amplifier power than a flat response and as most amplifier power is used in the bass region, this can be a real issue.

Bear in mind these are general points, I am not familier with you equipment, so my comments are not specific, everything might be working fine and you have just had a faulty tweeter, rare but it does happen.

L00k_C

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
Depending on the money you want to spend and genre of music..... However with a Haramn Kardon amp you can never go wrong with JBL's

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts