TVs - Power Consumption

Neilmanc

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Shocked to see when I switched on my 2009 Panasonic 42 inch P42G10 the other day that my electric meter started going round almost as fast as Lewis Hamilton goes round the track! Research revealed power consumption is shown in the manual as 350 Watts compared with my 2014 Samsung 46 inch F7000 series, 71 Watts according to the What Hi-Fi review.

I know one is Plasma and the other is LED but five times the power consumption?

If I am reading this correctly does anybody know the approximate cost for both over a year assuming average use.

Neilmanc

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
The screen panel is warm on the Panny and the rear panel quite hot. On further investigation there is powdery dust being deposited on the rear of the TV stand and cabinet. I checked the picture menu and found the contrast was 100%. Not sure whether this is related to the possible overheating however I have turned this down and the TV is now running much cooler. Picture is fine but do I need to have the TV inspected or do I already have an excuse to buy a 4K TV ?

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
to buy a 4k tv as if any tv I owned started depositing powdery dust from it, I would stop using it straight away and call an engineer.

One thing, have you checked if all the fans on the rear are working ( if you have any that is).

*music2*

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Is that powdery dust from inside the TV or just house dust attracted by the static electricity caused by the plasma screen? If the former, get it checked out. if the latter buy your wife a new can of Pledge *biggrin*

And yes, plasma TVs use a lot more juice than LEDs or LCDs. That, the weight, and the higher production cost, is why they've gone the way of the do-do, despite the better picture quality.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Benedict_Arnold said:
Is that powdery dust from inside the TV or just house dust attracted by the static electricity caused by the plasma screen?

It's house dust drawn to the back of the set by the fans: clean it off with a vacuum cleaner on minimum power and the brush attachment on the hose, or even better using a handheld brush with the vacuum cleaner nozzle held nearby to take in the dust as the brush dislodges it.

I've usually found the fans on a plasma run less when the dust is removed, too.

(By the way, assuming four hours a day, on standard British Gas electricity tariff, that's about £16.50 a year on the 71W F7000, and of course five times as much on the plasma)

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
thought the idea of the fans on the back of a plasma were to expel heat outwards, not draw room temp air in plus any dust etc, well this is what happens with the fan on the psu at the back of my pc.

just a thought.

*music2*

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
macdiddy said:
thought the idea of the fans on the back of a plasma were to expel heat outwards, not draw room temp air in plus any dust etc, well this is what happens with the fan on the psu at the back of my pc.

just a thought.

They have to draw air in to circulate and cool the components and then be expelled. If they only expelled hot air without drawing any cooling air in, the TV would implode (or at least crumple inwards) in pretty short order! ;-)

Neilmanc

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all your comments. My wife agrees with spiney norman that it is house dust drawn in by the fans - so no immediate 4K TV then!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts