TV without phone package.

beastyboy

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Need your help regarding freeview tv. I am currently tied into a Virgin phone/tv package. I really don't need a landline phone, if I cancel my phone then I lose my freeview tv. What are my options, willing to spend up to £500 for the right tv or do I just need a freeview box?

Tend to only watch general BBC/ITV/C4/C5 anyway so not really looking for anything more than that.

Looking forward to reading any replies.

Thanks in anticipation.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
What are you actually asking here? Do you want to buy a new TV? All new TVs have a Freeview tuner in them at the bare minimum, many will have a FreeviewHD tuner, which is nice. If you don't need a new TV the market is awash with Freeview boxes, for 500 quid you'll easily get a recording box and still have half your money left at least I imagine.

beastyboy

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Wow, chill i'm asking for advice here. If you read my post I want to get rid of my landline and charges that go with it. Unfortunately my provider Virgin links their landline and tv package. No landline, no tv. I have £500 pounds to spend either on a new tv (my present Sony tv is massive and 10 years old) or as per original post a freeview box. If I can buy a tv recommended on here that does both then great, job done.

Clear as daylight.

beastyboy

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Thanks,

so all tv's have freeview, did not know. Can't believe how difficult my post is to understand. It seems that I can either buy a tuner then, or a tv with a tuner. Posted the question as a really don't know my options. Looking at the replies so far a TV with a freeview tuner built in sounds great to me.

Recommend one.

beastyboy

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
When have I not shown good manners?

I trust in your advice, that is why I am asking. I genuinely need help in what is available to me. I have had the same tv for 10 years that should tell you something about my lack of knowledge.

Ok, few questions:

1) Do you want to replace your TV, or are you happy with your current TV?

2) If interested in buying a new TV, what size are you looking for?

If you're happy with your current TV, there are many cheap Freeview boxes. Check this.

If you want to buy a new TV, how much HD programme will you be watching?

beastyboy

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Thanks bigboss,

1)Replace tv, current tv has 28" screen and about the same depth! So something around the same size (28" to 32")

2)Never watched HD tv so not really important.

Thanks for the link too.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
beastyboy said:
Thanks,

so all tv's have freeview, did not know. Can't believe how difficult my post is to understand. It seems that I can either buy a tuner then, or a tv with a tuner. Posted the question as a really don't know my options. Looking at the replies so far a TV with a freeview tuner built in sounds great to me.

Recommend one.

What screen size would you like? Do you want to be able to watch 3D Blu-ray disks?

I would recommend a Samsung Smart TV (lots of them out there in different sizes) because they have also built in apps for catch-up services like BBC iPlayer, 4oD, ITV Player, Demand 5 etc. (Lots of others too.) This means you watch stuff you've missed on all the channels you listed in your first post. (Only Samsung do all four so far.)

You only need to run a network cable from the back of the telly to your modem/router to access these services. (These are additional to the standard Freeview HD obviously.)

I looked at this one today in John Lewis...

http://www.johnlewis.com/samsung-ue32f5500-led-hd-1080p-smart-tv-32-with-freeview-hd/p433369

It's pretty good for the money. And quite well specified in terms of connectivity. (Not 3D though.) That price includes a free 5 year guarantee too.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
beastyboy said:
2) Never watched HD tv so not really important.

Well that is free regardless of whether it's important (hence the 'Free' in Freeview HD) and HD is pretty standard on 32" screens nowadays.

So you might as well enjoy it as your TV will have HD anyway and BBC1, BBC2, C4 and ITV all transmit HD versions of their channels.

beastyboy

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Thank you chebby for taking the time to reply. Really helpful advice, especially the link and how to run the network cable. Looks spot on for what I need.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
It's also worth noting that £500 will buy you more screen acreage that you've specified above.

CRT televisions still best flatscreen TVs in certain regards (like motion handling and native contrast). One way of ensuring a worthwhile upgrade is to choose a larger screen.

I'm not sure you'd be gaining much buying a 32" flastscreen TV, apart from an inbuilt digital Freeview tuner. HD doesn't offer significant advantages at smaller screen sizes; and you can pick up a digital Freeview tuner for peanuts. (I'm actually about to give one away; though I saw the same model in my local Cash Converters for £15.)

In other words, if you're not looking for a larger screen, the most sensible solution might be simply to pick up a cheap digital tuner and PVR (such as one of the older Humax boxes.) With a dual tuner Freeview PVR, you'll be able to record one programme while watching another (and timer record), duplicating your current Virgin Media tuner's functionality.

Assuming your current TV isn't on its last legs, there are very cheap and effective solutions available.

Just a few thoughts...

GeoffreyW

Sep 17, 2005
Visit site
Might sound silly, but do you have an aerial for your telly, with Virgin? If you do, you only need either a new TV or recorder. As others have said, all new TVs have Freeview built in, but if you want to record programmes, and you're happy with your Sony, a good HD recorder will let you record Freeview, and replay it on your Sony TV. If you find you want to watch HD TV, you'll definitely need a new TV, your Sony won't have the technology.

By the way, a large (42") flatscreen won't dominate your room in the same way as a large CRT does, so don't be afraid to Go Large.

Good luck.

abacus

Is your broadband supplied by Virgin, as you will still need this to access the internet and to use any online services (Catch up TV for example)?

Virgin do just TV & Broadband packages without a phone line, but they normally charge more for them unless you take a phone line from them.

If your internet is not supplied by Virgin, you will need an active phone line to get broadband from other suppliers.

Don’t forget to give Virgin a call as you will be surprised the offers that suddenly appear when they know you want to leave. (These usually come after you have made initial contact, so you may not get a better deal straight away, but they will definitely ring you again when they know you are not changing your mind)

Bill

beastyboy

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply, plenty of options for me to think about over the weekend! Just goes to prove good advice doesn't have to be costly.

;)

MoJoe

May 27, 2013
Visit site
Your virgin box should be yours once the contract is up, is it not? In which you can continue to watch tv as you have done as they do not remove any connections. They only take away your phone and Internet service.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts