TV group test in every single issue

rendu

Sep 10, 2008
Visit site
Hello, I am a bit curious as to why there is a TV group test in every single magazine. Is this really something so demanded by hi-fi enthusiasts? Or, is this maybe something that only happens in the spanish version of the magazine?

From my side I would really prefer to see that space being covered by practical articles about hi-fi components or how to make best use of the features... just as an example.

On the other hand I find it so difficult to find reviews of projectors specially in the budget area (400-600 Eur).

This is just a personal opinion anyway. Thanks.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Many forum users would agree with you, but forum users are not typical of the general WHFSAV buying public. It is 'sound and vision'. Pretty much everyone has a tv and the casual purchaser of the odd copy will in the main buy when researching a tv. And WHF has to deal with commercial reality.

rendu

Sep 10, 2008
Visit site
BenLaw said:
Many forum users would agree with you, but forum users are not typical of the general WHFSAV buying public. It is 'sound and vision'. Pretty much everyone has a tv and the casual purchaser of the odd copy will in the main buy when researching a tv. And WHF has to deal with commercial reality.

Very reasonable reply and definetly has to do with making it attractive to 1st time buyers and trying to cover the "vision" part.

On the other hand, once this users buy the TV maybe they are no longer interested in the magazine. There is definetly a difficult balance between making the product appealing to new commers and keeping the frequent readers at the same time. As a frequent reader my opinion is that a TV group test in every mag is too much.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
rendu said:
On the other hand, once this users buy the TV maybe they are no longer interested in the magazine.

Yes, but from what I understand the magazine sells a lot more copies to this "once-in-a-while" market than they do to the regular buyers, so that's where they have to aim the content.

Besides, there ARE a lot of TVs being released, all year round.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I stopped buying the magazine regularly after buying it monthly for nearly 15 years, and a contributing reason, albeit not a huge one*, was exactly this. I was always on the lookout to upgrade my HiFi to improve the sound, but once I've bought a telly I've bought a telly, probably until it breaks or it becomes obsolete.

*by far the main reason was I got married and started a family, and HiFi took a back seat for a very long time.

daveg56

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Hi

I do agree with you rendu but I guess, as other people have mentioned, it's all about selling as many issues as possible which is understandable.

Your suggestion of having some practical articles is excellent and is something I've thought of for some time. Like many other regular forum members, we've all probably got good hi-fi and televisions and want to know how to improve on what we've got.

Cables, power, acoustics, racking, layout, lighting, streaming, servers etc. could be really informative and could take the magazine beyond what is typically pages of brochure type pictures, lightweight information and relatively inoffensive reviews. Need a little more depth. Lots of people (like me?) I expect are interested in creating a home cinema, but without having the luxury of a huge budget that gets attention in some of the other mags. Maybe a monthly 'reader home cinema of the month' type of thing might work?

I'm likely to keep subscribing to the magazine if I feel I'm learning something along the way, rather than just seeing what the latest products on the market are, which after a while becomes a little boring.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts