TV cabinet

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Hi Guys,

I am constantly smashing my head against a wall here. I have a 150cm space to work with and need a new AV cabinet to fit all my equipment into.

I have looked at BDI, Salamander and even had a quote from Blok. The only problem is the AV cabinet is 74cm tall and my TV will sit ontop of it. I know I can go with HiFi Racks, but my goal is to hide the jungle of wires out of sight, so that rules out rack systems.

Do you think the TV will be too high at 74cm? is there an option I am not seeing? Everything I have looked at that will accomodate my equipment is too wide or too tall. Do I have to accept life and buy a rack system again?

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Thank you guys, so I am gathering from the responses so far that I should get a rack instead of cabinet. So much for hiding wires :(

Timbot - Everything is in one place. The fine woods are good, but they lack the depth needed for the LX83 which is 46cm deep and with Banana plugs it gets to about 52cm deep. The fine woods have back panels to them, not sure if they can be fully removed? Will have another look.

I like chunky Monkey by the way!

D

Deleted member 2457

duaplex said:
Thank you guys, so I am gathering from the responses so far that I should get a rack instead of cabinet. So much for hiding wires :(

Timbot - Everything is in one place. The fine woods are good, but they lack the depth needed for the LX83 which is 46cm deep and with Banana plugs it gets to about 52cm deep. The fine woods have back panels to them, not sure if they can be fully removed? Will have another look.

I like chunky Monkey by the way!

I have an Optimum AV300 customised stand.
smiley-smile.gif

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
If you look on the chunky monkey and stump furniture threads on av forums some people have used back panels and other have used removable panels at the front at the bottom for access to cables. They'll basically make anything you ask as long as you can work out how to do it. However, using a custom rack you can have everything fitting so well that you can't see the cables, check the link to my av kit in my sig.

Timbot

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
duaplex said:
. The fine woods have back panels to them, not sure if they can be fully removed? Will have another look.

The Finewoods come "flat packed" for assembly. It is possible to just leave the back pannel off or even to "DIY" it a bit with a saw / jigsaw. The back pannel has no structural use at all. Perhaps one of the four pre-cut holes could be enlarged a bit for the banana plugs to poke through? Just a thought...

scene

Before I finally decided on the Salamander, I was too spent a long time looking for a wide (180cm in my case) and high (80-90cm) cabinet. The one I very nearly went with was Kuban who do some very nice AV cabinets, and also have a bespoke department. Very friendly when I dealt with them.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
scene said:
bigboss said:
If you're prepared for a DIY approach, check: www.ikeahackers.net

I did wonder if a hacked Besta-based solution might work - but besta cabinets are 40cm, and the sc-lx83 is 46cm, without cables plugged in...

.....Which is the self-same headache I had when it came to housing my Onkyo.:wall:

Ikea's 'Tobo' to the rescue. Leave out the two drawers in the centre and there's acres of space for even the deepest of A/V receivers. I cut the panel out on the back to connect all the cables, the Onkyo pushes right back so you see no cabling.8)

scene

Big Chris said:
scene said:
bigboss said:
If you're prepared for a DIY approach, check: www.ikeahackers.net

I did wonder if a hacked Besta-based solution might work - but besta cabinets are 40cm, and the sc-lx83 is 46cm, without cables plugged in...

.....Which is the self-same headache I had when it came to housing my Onkyo.:wall:

Ikea's 'Tobo' to the rescue. Leave out the two drawers in the centre and there's acres of space for even the deepest of A/V receivers. I cut the panel out on the back to connect all the cables, the Onkyo pushes right back so you see no cabling.8)

Ooh! nice one!

(I love when you search for it on the Ikea website, how it comes up in the 'For tube TVs larger than 25"' category :rofl: )

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
My only fear with Ikea is the sonic performance of my center speaker, it will have to sit on top of the cabinet and they dont look too well equipped to deal with vibrations. Whathifi has influenced me i'm sure!

Scene - would you say a cabinet that is 74cm is too tall then? Especially with a TV on top.

By the way I am awaiting quotes from Cheeky Monkey and Strump, I have also looked at Future Glass.

scene

Depends what you're going to use the tv for, etc. I wanted mine fairly high to keep it clear of small hands and for wii usage. The salamander 336 I've got is 792mm tall, so who am I to think 740mm is too high :)

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Hehe true, I have looked at the salamander range, all are a little too big for my bay window (ones that fit my equipment) while the others are too small. Blok has designed a stand for me which is in the same price bracket. Another issue with the smaller salamander is a 55 inch TV dwarfing the cabinet below it. Im not sure it would look cool.

My usage will be for the gaming and movies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts