TV’s Optical Out connected to HiFi through DAC – but getting very poor quality sound

hir_n3975

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
My new Samsung UE40ES6300 TV only has Optical and HDMI Audio out. And my Sony HiFi only has Analogue Audio IN.

So I am using DAC to get Optical in from TV and to get Analogue sound out through my HiFi.

But the quality of sound I am getting through speakers is appalling (its way inferior to what I used to get through the same HiFi when it was connected to my old TV which had analogue out)

I would appreciate your help on this greatly. Thanks.

hir_n3975

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, Yes its on PCM. I have tried all the settings on TV without any luck. does the sound quality depend on the quality of DAC?

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
hir_n3975 said:
Thanks, Yes its on PCM. I have tried all the settings on TV without any luck. does the sound quality depend on the quality of DAC?

You may allow more people to help you if you detail all your equipment and the specifics of how the sound has changed. DAC quality does make a difference, but if working correctly it shouldn't make the amount of difference you describe.

hir_n3975

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
I am using Maplin DAC which i bought for £38 a month ago. The sound quality is very poor in terms of very low base, no clarity between different fequencies, some of the frequencies not audible at normal volume.

When I connect the HiFi directly to analugue outpots to my old TV the sound quality i get is way way better in terms of detailing, clarity and good base.

I hope the additional details will help.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
chebby said:
hir_n3975 said:
I am using Maplin DAC which i bought for £38 a month ago.

Therein lies the problem I suspect.

I don't see why, I paid about that or maybe slightly less for the dac I use from my bedroom TV and it sounds perfectly fine. Missing frequencies sounds like a connection problem to me or a fault requiring a replacement.

Ragworm

Jul 24, 2007
Visit site
Well that was interesting! I've got a Samsung telly and the same DAC except I bought mine from Lektropacks for £36. I normally use the USB connection with my lap top which also powers the DAC. I connected up the optical out of the Samsung to the DAC and plugged in the USB power supply - no go. Then I used the USB of the Lappy to power the DAC and it spang into life. I've now got it running powered by a Sony Ericsson phone charger. The sound quality is fine, in fact very good. If you've got sound problems then I suspect a fault. Try a different source such as a DVD player to pin it down to the DAC or TV.

P.S. you know the DAC has a volume control? Turn it all the way up (clockwise).

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
BenLaw said:
chebby said:
hir_n3975 said:
I am using Maplin DAC which i bought for £38 a month ago.

Therein lies the problem I suspect.

I don't see why, I paid about that or maybe slightly less for the dac I use from my bedroom TV and it sounds perfectly fine. Missing frequencies sounds like a connection problem to me or a fault requiring a replacement.

I thought that was what Chebby was saying, a duff unit. :doh:

But now someone has given you [OP] info based on identical ownership. As has been mentioned try the unit with other sources to track down the culprit.

hir_n3975

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
Thanks a lot Ragworm,

The DAC has volume control but it doesnt seem to do anything.

I currently use the TV's usb port to power the DAC. Will try using a different power source and see if it improves the quality of sound output.

Thanks

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts