Turntable with adjustable speed?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all, I'm looking for a turntable that has full control over the speed, much like DJ turntables. Reason being I have some old Drum and Bass Vinyls that were never released on CD that I want to play, but they all require different speeds, and I would prefer not to buy a DJ Turntable. I can't seem to find what I'm looking for though. Some have two variable speeds, others have none. I need full control. Can anyone help, or will I need to buy a DJ Turntable? Cheers, Rob :)

John Duncan

Tricky. Most obvious answer is indeed to buy a DJ turntable, but there are other possibilities. For example, a freely-available and very cheap Dual turntable like this one has fine speed control, but whether the tolerance is wide enough for you I don't know - alternatively, any turntable with a DC motor (like say the Origin Live upgrade) can have its speed changed, and the more expensive of the Pro-Ject Speed Boxes (which can be added to pretty much any of their turntables) has fine tuning of speed, but it's up around the 300 quid mark if I recall, and even then gives you only +/-2rpm I think.

A

Anonymous

I think only a DJ turntable will give you the pitch range you need.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="Rob Wells"]Hi all, I'm looking for a turntable that has full control over the speed, much like DJ turntables. Reason being I have some old Drum and Bass Vinyls that were never released on CD that I want to play, but they all require different speeds, and I would prefer not to buy a DJ Turntable. I can't seem to find what I'm looking for though. Some have two variable speeds, others have none. I need full control. Can anyone help, or will I need to buy a DJ Turntable? Cheers, Rob :)[/quote]

You say you dont want a DJ TT. Is this is because of a perceived lack of performance or looks? I believe there are products that use outboard speed controlled motors but whether they have variable 'stepless' speed control I dont know. All I can say is the Technics SL1200/1210 in all their different incarnations have a large following and not just with the DJ fraternity. They are highly 'modeable' and at least one mag has reviewers that use them in their systems in place of/as well as more audiophile designs and praise them highly for musicality and drive.

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
i'd go for a 2nd hand dual, they can be picked up for peanuts and are well built and spares are readily available so agreed on that one john and yes an rb 250 works a treat on the technics but a bit overkill for drum and bass me thinks.

A

Anonymous

Go for a second hand Goldring GL75 or 78. Infinitely variable speed but watch out for saggy arm bearings.

A

Anonymous

Cheers for the responses guys!

The reason I would prefer a non-dj turntable is simply because I would much prefer to have a small stylish turntable than a button covered hunk of a dj turntable. The Technics SL1200 is a brilliant TT but it would look a bit much on top of my cabinet!

Thank you all for the suggestions, I will look into them further.

Rob :)

T

the record spot

The Technics was never intended to be a DJ deck - that came later. John's point about slapping an RB250 on is no bad idea - the deck has superb build and a superb drive unit. Get rid of the mat and put on (e.g.) a felt mat, put a better cartridge on it, upgrade the arm and you have a serious hifi proposition.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="drummerman"]
[quote user="Rob Wells"]Hi all, I'm looking for a turntable that has full control over the speed, much like DJ turntables. Reason being I have some old Drum and Bass Vinyls that were never released on CD that I want to play, but they all require different speeds, and I would prefer not to buy a DJ Turntable. I can't seem to find what I'm looking for though. Some have two variable speeds, others have none. I need full control. Can anyone help, or will I need to buy a DJ Turntable? Cheers, Rob :)[/quote]

You say you dont want a DJ TT. Is this is because of a perceived lack of performance or looks? I believe there are products that use outboard speed controlled motors but whether they have variable 'stepless' speed control I dont know. All I can say is the Technics SL1200/1210 in all their different incarnations have a large following and not just with the DJ fraternity. They are highly 'modeable' and at least one mag has reviewers that use them in their systems in place of/as well as more audiophile designs and praise them highly for musicality and drive.
[/quote]

I am biased but I whole-heartedly agree with this.......I haven't compared my technics with other turntables but find it hard to believe a different one would transform the sound of my set-up........I find vinyl sounds better than cds.......can't ask for more than that..........match the technics turntables wisely with quality separates and the end result will be pleasing ;)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts