Question Turntable Upgrade

sonic1

Dec 27, 2019
Visit site
So after 20 years I think it is time to upgrade, I have just grabbed a bargain with a second hand Rega fono MM MK3, almost half price so I am happy with that.

Next is what turntable ?

The budget is £750, I am also not worried about second hand if the price is right.

Looking forward to your advice.

D

Deleted member 108165

As you currently own a Pro-Ject why not stay with them and look at one higher in the range. Alternatively there are many other brands to consider, I'll leave the others to chime in about these.
Used is a good bet but turntables need to be packed correctly as they will get a bumpy ride before arriving at your door.

Reactions: sonic1
As DougK says you could stick with Project. Certainly with second hand turntables I would like to collect myself rather than trust a postal service particularly if it has an acrylic cover.
See what your local dealer has as trade ins or ex demo but remember if you are looking for a definite upgrade then get a better cartridge......

D

Deleted member 108165

I can vouch for these as I have have one:
Ditch the Ortofon 2M Red and stick a better cart on it as it deserves much better than this.
Or this one (newer version)
Collection only on both but probably the wisest method of purchase. It may have a Marantz badge on it but these are built for Marantz by Clearaudio.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 108165

@DougK
Nice looking deck and not one I would have considered, the advice on collection only is also wise, the downside for me is everywhere is a long way from Cornwall. :rolleyes:
Hmm, Cornwall... that is a problem. Keep scouring the ads to see if there is anything closer for you. Plenty of brands out there just come back if you find one that you're not sure of. Alternatively just keep with Pro-Ject, they do make decent turntables. Not sure which cart you have fitted to your current TT but maybe a change of cart could work for you.
My own turntable journey started about 7 years ago and began with a Pro-Ject DC, then Pioneer PLX1000, finally ending with the Marantz. Each has sounded better than it's predecessor but the Marantz was the biggest surprise in SQ hence I feel no need to change, however, it was 4x the price of the Pro-Ject so I guess it should :)

mr_baker644

Nov 1, 2019
Visit site
£750 would be the perfect budget for a decent Rega, such as a P3. You'll almost certainly see an improvement on the Debut in my opinion.

Alternatively - and a bit of a wildcard - what about something like a second-hand Linn Axis, with a bit of spare change for a new cart afterwards?

sonic1

Dec 27, 2019
Visit site
I think the Rega P3 is what I am leaning towards, the main reasons are it fits the budget, there is a dealer less than 50 miles away and I get piece of mind with it being new.

I have spent hours checking for decent options locally but it is very limited.

I am in no hurry and really appreciate peoples opinions on other options so please feel free to keep the suggestions coming.

Reactions: mr_baker644

chris_bates1974

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
You'll not go wrong with a Rega - I also went to a Planar 3 from a Project Debut (Phono version) and use a Fono MkII for phono amp duties. My cart is a 2M Red which does require a shim for height correction. Just FYI. I would suggest that the cart supplied with a new Planar 3 will do just fine!

I'd originally had a Planar 3 around 30 years ago, and then sold it (big mistake). The Project was acquired when on a budget, and I jumped at the chance to go back to a Planar 3. I am sure the new model will be even better.

Enjoy!

chris_bates1974

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I used to live in Scarborough. In the late eighties/early nineties there were a couple of good places to hear good hifi, and some good record shops also. Sadly, now, (I think) there's just the place next to Stephen Joseph Theatre - as far as I know he is still there..... Had many records from him over the years.

Sorry for the brief hijack - couldn't pass up the chance to reminisce.

Reactions: Al ears and sonic1
I used to live in Scarborough. In the late eighties/early nineties there were a couple of good places to hear good hifi, and some good record shops also. Sadly, now, (I think) there's just the place next to Stephen Joseph Theatre - as far as I know he is still there..... Had many records from him over the years.

Sorry for the brief hijack - couldn't pass up the chance to reminisce.
Yes, it's sad the way hifi retailers have disappeared. There used to be several good ones in Cornwall but how many are left I don't know.

Reactions: chris_bates1974

mr_baker644

Nov 1, 2019
Visit site
Yes, it's sad the way hifi retailers have disappeared. There used to be several good ones in Cornwall but how many are left I don't know.

There are luckily sill a few near me, although the nearest one (Orton's) closed a couple of years ago. I now visit Radlett Audio. Although their shop closed a long time ago, the original owner still operates from home and has a nice listening room. There's nothing better than going along to audition HiFi with your own tunes, whilst sipping on a coffee and chatting with like-minded people :)

There are luckily sill a few near me, although the nearest one (Orton's) closed a couple of years ago. I now visit Radlett Audio. Although their shop closed a long time ago, the original owner still operates from home and has a nice listening room. There's nothing better than going along to audition HiFi with your own tunes, whilst sipping on a coffee and chatting with like-minded people :)
I'd agree, I remember doing similar at Pete Russell's in Plymouth many moons ago

Last edited:

sonic1

Dec 27, 2019
Visit site
You'll not go wrong with a Rega - I also went to a Planar 3 from a Project Debut (Phono version) and use a Fono MkII for phono amp duties. My cart is a 2M Red which does require a shim for height correction. Just FYI. I would suggest that the cart supplied with a new Planar 3 will do just fine!

I'd originally had a Planar 3 around 30 years ago, and then sold it (big mistake). The Project was acquired when on a budget, and I jumped at the chance to go back to a Planar 3. I am sure the new model will be even better.

Enjoy!
#Rega Planer 3 in white ordered from my local dealer.
Now I just have to deal with the massive build up of tension/excitement until I can get my hands on it. 😏

#Rega Planer 3 in white ordered from my local dealer.
Now I just have to deal with the massive build up of tension/excitement until I can get my hands on it. 😏
If not fitted with a new cartridge I would suggest changing it if it's an original Planar 3
Lovely turntable with a tonearm that is capable of doing justice to a good range of cartridges. Had one myself once.

sonic1

Dec 27, 2019
Visit site
I picked up my Planar 3 from them yesterday, really friendly guys and they will be more than happy to demo it for you.
They have the Planer 1 on display.
Worst part is they also have lots of other goodies.

Reactions: yug

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts