Turntable trauma

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Well, a bit of confusion at least.

I'm currently in the proces of upgrading my hi fi. Currently it looks like this:

AEGIS 1 Speakers

Yamaha AX394 Amplifier

Yamaha CDS700

Project X perience Turntable (red rondo MC cart)

After some sound advice from elsewhere I know I need to upgrade the amp and speakers and will be starting with the amp. I was looking at several used/new options (Rega Brio/Yamaha AS700/Pioneer A400/naim and loads of others- yes it is a bit unfocussed at the minute but I'll get there!). However I then read that as my cart was MC I need to be careful on which amp I go for. I have a budget of £500- £600.

What do people think? Any advice would be really welcome.

Listening tastes are varied- post rock/ambient/indie and much more.

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Do any/many modern amps have phono inputs for low level MC cartridges? According to the Rega Brio manual it doesn't and I would doubt whether Naim do, although someone may prove me wrong. I couldn't find out from the Yamaha website whether it does or not but I doubt that it does. This will seriously limit your choice or you will need an external phono stage.
The Cambridge Audio 640P Phono stage has both MC and MM inputs so this may be your starting point if you go this way and retails at Richer Products for about £100. I've never heard one but JD and WHF rated it, 5 stars I think.
Your other options would be 2nd hand Trichord Dino or similar for about £150-200.
This will leave less money for your amp and you will also need an interconnect cable.
An external Phono stage is probably the best way to though as you will then have a far greater choice of amps to choose from and when you come to upgrade your amp next time you will not have this problem again.
Sorry to be unhelpful but it may kickstart this.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for that.

I was starting to feel the tumbleweed! I think you're right and was starting to look at phono stages as an alternative. I was also considering going second hand to get the MC phono input.

Was thinking of going for the Cambridge audio 840 a/650a or yamaha as500/700 and the cambridge 640p pre-amp. Other options are to go second hand on an older amp that would have MC capability. Anybody have thoughts on this- I really want to get the best out of my TT.

Obviously the next step is to audition (if going new) but would welcome opinions.

Thanks again for responding

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts