Turntable/Speakers Advice Needed :)

Girloutside

Nov 13, 2020
Visit site
Dear all

I currently have a Panasonic X-HM21 CD player/speaker microsystem hooked up to its original speakers. Not a high end stereo, but makes a good sound. I'd really like to get a decent budget(ish) turntable (budget around £300 max) and at the same get some better speakers to both upgrade the microsystem and hook up to the turntable.

My thought was to hook the new speakers up to the CD player unit as usual and then connect the turntable to the CD unit using RCA cables.

My questions are:

-would this set-up work?
-can anyone please recommend a good turntable for £300ish which also has bluetooth in case I decide to use that at any time?
-what kind of new speakers would I need? I am a bit confused as to the difference between powered and passive speakers. Could I use powered speakers in the way I have described above?
-can anyone recommend a good pair of speakers for this purpose?

Many thanks in advance for any advice :)

Helen

Welcome to the forum Helen,
Regarding speakers first, you need passive speakers to wire up in the way you describe.
With powered speakers you will find that one of them has a built-in amplifier and you would need to connect them from a line-out socket (which your device does not have, although you might be able to use the headphone socket but I am not sure of that) and not with normal speaker cable.
the Pioneer X-HM21 only has one line-in input so you will need a turntable that has a built-in phono preamp.
So, on the turntable front, probably the best you will get around your budget is the Pro-ject T1 BT (available at around £349) or the cheaper but less able Sony PS-LX310BT
Hopefully this has been of some help.
What exactly is the issue with your current speakers and how much is your budget for a new pair?

Girloutside

Nov 13, 2020
Visit site
Hi Al ears

Many thanks for your very helpful reply.

Thanks for the turntable recommendation. Is that a good one?

There's no issue with the current speakers, I just wondered whether I should get some better ones in order to do the turntable justice. What do you think? Looking at the lower end of budget again though, £150-£200 maybe.

Thanks again for the reply :)

Girloutside

Nov 13, 2020
Visit site
ps I'd been looking at the Sony turntable as an option, it has good reviews on Amazon. Why is it less able than the other? Audio-Technica turntables seem to come well recommended too?

ps I'd been looking at the Sony turntable as an option, it has good reviews on Amazon. Why is it less able than the other? Audio-Technica turntables seem to come well recommended too?
With turntables in your budget range it pretty much comes down to build-quality and more importantly the quality of the cartridge fitted to them along with the possibility of upgrading them in the future if you require. My advice, if you can afford it, is go with the Pro-ject.
This company makes a very wide range of products that support vinyl playback and really know what they are about.
Many of the other cheaper turntables you see are churned out of the same factory in China and simply have different name tags attached to them.....

Reactions: Gray
Hi Al ears

Many thanks for your very helpful reply.

Thanks for the turntable recommendation. Is that a good one?

There's no issue with the current speakers, I just wondered whether I should get some better ones in order to do the turntable justice. What do you think? Looking at the lower end of budget again though, £150-£200 maybe.

Thanks again for the reply :)
Getting better speakers for your budget may prove difficult.
You have consider that your device is only rated as 15 watts per channel and, unless you can find some very efficient speakers for your budget, you may find your Pioneer cannot drive them adequately for them to deliver their best.
It might be possible if you are prepared to go second-hand but that's not really a route I would suggest unless you know what you are looking for.

Girloutside

Nov 13, 2020
Visit site
I gathered as much :)
Can I ask what size room you have this set-up in and where you have your current speakers placed?
It isn't a huge room.

Speakers are either side of the unit, about 6 inches away on each side. I don't have masses of shelf room. Room is about 13x13 feet.

Re the Pro-Ject - is it automatic and does it have a dust lid? Dust lid may seem like a small thing but I think they look better.

It isn't a huge room.

Speakers are either side of the unit, about 6 inches away on each side. I don't have masses of shelf room. Room is about 13x13 feet.

Re the Pro-Ject - is it automatic and does it have a dust lid? Dust lid may seem like a small thing but I think they look better.

You want a lot........ :)
No, it is not automatic and yes, it has an acrylic hinged dust lid

It isn't a huge room.

And bear in mind that turntables don’t like sharing a shelf with loudspeakers. The vibration from speakers isn’t good for turntables.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts