Turntable-Speaker-Amp Combo

whitebear101

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
Hi

I've recently purchased a Pl-12D and I'm at the stage where I need advice on deciding on the Amp and Speakers which will complete my set up.

The AMP:

My bidget is a maximum of £200 and obviously needs a phono stage (I could purchase a preamp, but I'd prefer to buy an amp which has a phono stage/ground). The amps I've seen are Yamaha A-S201, Yamaha A-S300, Yamaha A-S500. The latter I can get 2nd hand for around £180 and the first two I can get brand new for less than £180. The amp will be only used for my turntable so I don't need it to be all singing and dancing, but I want it to do a great job with my turntable. Does anyone have an opionon on which one I should buy or recommend one that isn't even in the list?

The Speakers:

Again my maximum budget is £200 and needs to work great with whichever AMP I choose. I am loking for shelf speakers and the ones I've been looking at are Dali Zensor 1, Wharfedale Dismond 220, Monitor Audio BX1, Q Acoustic 2020i and Q Acoustic 2010i.

Thanks for your input

WB

CarlDW

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
I would add the Denon PMA720AE and Pioneer A30 to your list. Both have built in phono stages and are well under £200. They won't have the 'warmth' of the Yamaha amplifiers but they may better fit your listening requirements.

As for speakers, I would listen to the Whafedale 220's and then wait for the Q Acoustic 3020's to become available.

Ketan Bharadia

Jun 7, 2007
Visit site
It's worth trying out Rotel's RA10, or if you can find it at your budget, Marantz's PM6003. Both have decent phono stages. As for speakers, the Wharfedale Diamond 220s are excellent for the price.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts