Turntable sound getting gradually worse?

h4rdy

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
I seem to be having some Turntable woes and I am not sure what my next step is so hope somebody can help.

I have a Michell GyroDec with a RB303/1012 Arm/Cartridge combo.

I was using a Pioneer AV amp/2020i/Furutech ADL GT40 and although it sounded good I wanted to go the whole hog with stereo so I bought a Roksan K2 Integrated and Power initially with the 2020i but then I bought some K2 TR5 speakers.

I went to listen to Pearl Jam Ten and the sound is compressed and woolly with no drive or presence at all.

Other Albums sound the same.

I can't believe the Phono stage in the Roksan is that much worse than the GT40?

A local HiFi shop who obviously disliked the Roksan tried to sell me a Phono Stage but I am unsure as to whether that is the problem.

Could my stylus be gradually on its way out?

Is my system now more revealing? And just showing up the downfalls of my TT combo?

Can anybody suggest a Cartridge with a bit more drive and sparkle?

CD and Sonos sounds great so its not my combination of kit.

Hope somebody can help.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Some integral phono stages in amps aren't great - can you loan a phono stage from your dealer to try out and confirm or eliminate the possibility of it being the Roksan phono stage?

abacus

Connect your GT40 between your turntable and the line in on the K2 amp to see if you get an improvement, this will allow you to determine if the K2 phono stage is causing the problem.

Bill

h4rdy

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Thanks guys.

I don't have the GT40 anymore as I sold it.

Its strange as I read the phono stage in the Roksan was very good.

I would also be a little upset with that as the combo wasnt cheap.

Ill try and get a phono stage this week to try.

I was cutting down on boxes with having the inbuilt stage as well :cry:

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Can you test your TT in another Roksan K2, to eliminate the phone stage quality or if it is something rong with your TT?

Or take your K2 to the shop so they can connect a TT there?

If it is a problem with the built in phone stage they have to replace your unit!

:cheers:

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Probably a daft suggestion, but is your stylus totally clean and free of gunk?

Yesterday I was thinking my vinyl system and in particular Bias cartridge sounded a tad dull. I always give it a quick clean with one of these before each new LP..

1247500596_ortofon_0020_carbon_0020_fibre_0020_brush_w390_h390.jpg

.. but looking at the stylus tip close up I thought it looked a bit blunt, which is surprising as it is a fairly low used cartridge. However, I dipped my brush into some Iso Propyl Alcohol (IPA) and gave the stylus a good clean, and the difference was very clear. I could see the tip again, good and sharp, and the sound it reproduced afterwards was noticeably better. Much clearer, detailed and dynamic.

Just goes to show that even the cleanest looking LPs can hide some muck, and it all builds up on your stylus over time

dansettemajor

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
I have the Roksan K2 and find its phono stage to be excellent, given the price of this amplifier. I also use a Pro-ject Tube Box S on occasion and there is little difference between them.

Might be worth getting yours checked out, as it certainly shouldn't sound woolly or compressed at all.

h4rdy

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the replies.

I really don't know where to start.

I may pop down to the local Hi Fi shop and see if I can borrow a Tube Box S as if there is little difference between the two then it should show up any issues.

I could even buy one from eBay then put it back on if its not that.

Ill buy one of those little brushes now.

Thanks and ill keep you all informed.

h4rdy

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Some progress and I feel a little embarrassed.

The tiny brush worked and sound quality is resumed.

However not totally embarrassed as under my eye piece the stylus looks a little dull so I'm off for an upgrade.

Thanks for all your help.

you learn something everyday.

J

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
h4rdy said:

However not totally embarrassed as under my eye piece the stylus looks a little dull so I'm off for an upgrade.

J

excellent!

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
h4rdy said:

J

Don't be embarrassed J, I won't even begin to tell you the amount of gaffs I've made with hifi..... :doh:

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
stevebrock said:
Hey Mitch - amother fellow RP6 owner - what do you think of it?

Chuffed with mine Steve, I got mine in glorious 'wife friendly' pink, had it for a couple of months now and it still manages to put a smile on my face :)

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
mitch65 said:
stevebrock said:

Chuffed with mine Steve, I got mine in glorious 'wife friendly' pink, had it for a couple of months now and it still manages to put a smile on my face :)

Gloss White here, its been on most of the day today though! Streaming though at the min while Im doing dinner, settle down later with a drink and spin some vinyl.......sorted!

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
stevebrock said:
mitch65 said:
stevebrock said:

Gloss White here, its been on most of the day today though! Streaming though at the min while Im doing dinner, settle down later with a drink and spin some vinyl.......sorted!

Did you manage to sort out your discount?

h4rdy

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
A bit of an update.

Almost stopped listening to Vinyl as it was just not pleasing so I bought a Rega Carbon Cartridge as an interim.

Now I'm listening to vinyl almost exclusively!

What an amazing little Cartridge for the money.

When finances are a little easier I'll demo some of the other Rega Cartidges.

Very happy.

h4rdy

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Another update.

TBH I still wasn't happy.

So I read the review of the new Musical Fidelity V90 LPS in HIFI Choice and bought one.

All I can say is.................I have emailed Roksan because now I believe my Amp is faulty!

The Rega Carbon is even more of a bargain.

Kind of pleased but also kind of annoyed at Roksan but they may say there is an issue.

The Phono Stage sounds very nice too,

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts