Turntable shelf replacement

juxter1

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
I have a sturdy turntable shelf, the kind that bolts to the wall, Unfortunately, someone borrowed the wooden board that the turntable sits on.

What sort of material would make a good replacement for the old mdf/chipboard one that came with it originally?

I would love to set up my Systemdek again and listen to some old vinyl again.

Hope someone can suggest something. Thanks.

juxter1

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Not funny at all, just wondered if any new material had been created that was better.

Mdf it is then.

Trip to local DIY store to get a it cut to size in order.

Hi,

Just to add that as you are doing the best in mounting your unit on the wall, this removes the vast majority of vibration etc. you might get if you where using a rack.

Having done this it is not necessary to fit any expensive base to the wallmount as it serves little purpose. All you really need is something that looks nice to sit your turntable on.

As you know MDF is available in a wide variety of colours or indeed laminates so you should have plenty to choose from. Another thought is a section of kitchen work-surface laminate, again in a wide variety of patterns, and should be reasonably cheap. Suitably sized this could just be stuck to your shelf mount with a few blobs of blutack - job done!

Rob998

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
Alears:
it is not necessary to fit any expensive base to the wallmount as it serves little purpose. All you really need is something that looks nice to sit your turntable on.

As you know MDF is available in a wide variety of colours or indeed laminates so you should have plenty to choose from. Another thought is a section of kitchen work-surface laminate, again in a wide variety of patterns, and should be reasonably cheap. Suitably sized this could just be stuck to your shelf mount with a few blobs of blutack - job done!

I have, tucked away at the back of a cupboard, a nice, big-ish black granite slab. Actually it's a big chopping board which I refuse to use as it blunts my knives as soon as they go near it. But me being me, I won't chuck it away, and Mrs Rob keeps asking me what I'm going to do with it....

Alears, you've just given me an idea as to it's future use. Now to find something sturdy to use as the supporting frame....
emotion-40.gif

rob998:Alears:

it is not necessary to fit any expensive base to the wallmount as it serves little purpose. All you really need is something that looks nice to sit your turntable on.

I have, tucked away at the back of a cupboard, a nice, big-ish black granite slab. Actually it's a big chopping board which I refuse to use as it blunts my knives as soon as they go near it. But me being me, I won't chuck it away, and Mrs Rob keeps asking me what I'm going to do with it....

Alears, you've just given me an idea as to it's future use. Now to find something sturdy to use as the supporting frame....
emotion-40.gif

Good job, always a good idea to try to mount turntables on a wallmount I find.

As for the frame you might give Ebay a quick once over as they sometimes come up. Speak of the devil!!!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rega-Planer-wall-mount-/140498709915?pt=Turntable_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20b6602d9b

This will come without a base as the Rega's feet sit in small cup-mounts, should be ideal if you are going to stick aslab of granite on it.

Simples!

Rob998

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
Excellent find! And not a million miles away from me either! Added to my watch list, along with several Arcam 8Ps......

rob998:Excellent find! And not a million miles away from me either! Added to my watch list, along with several Arcam 8Ps......

Glad to be of service. There are other identical shelves going on ebay but these are at full retail price £79-£89. Best of luck with this and your search for the 8P's

A

Anonymous

See if you can find anyone selling AEROLAM, an aircraft flooring material. Pink Triangle sold shelves years ago with great results. The best types of shelf are usually very light-so as to store little energy-and stiff-to make them resonate at higher frequencies where movements are smaller and easier to deal with.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts