Turntable sales on the rise.....

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Seems that us British vinyl spinners bought £10Million worth of turntables in 2008 (up from £9Million in 2007) according to Clare's blog article here....

http://whathifi.com/blogs/industry_insider/archive/2009/02/04/what-you-bought-in-2008-the-surprise-winners-and-losers-as-credit-got-crunched.aspx

It seems vinyl just will not lie down and die!

Alright, £23Million was spent on HDMI cables in the same period (which puts things in perspective a bit) but still encouraging nonetheless.

I hope it encourages some more turntable/cartridge/arm/phono-stage manufacturers to distribute their goods in the UK. Audio-Technica in Japan sell a whole raft of cartridges that are not available in the UK, Nagaoka too. I also hope it encourages a few more UK dealers to stock analogue products.

T

the record spot

Yup; a good thing too IMO. Well, you'd be surprised if I said anything different now, admit it.

matthewpiano

Great news. Vinyl is far too special to be allowed to die and its great to know that others share my love for the format. Even on my present stop-gap deck (a Debut III), it can sound wonderfully vibrant and full of life. Can't wait to get the cash together for an upgrade to a P3-24.

T

the record spot

matthewpiano:Great news. Vinyl is far too special to be allowed to die and its great to know that others share my love for the format. Even on my present stop-gap deck (a Debut III), it can sound wonderfully vibrant and full of life. Can't wait to get the cash together for an upgrade to a P3-24.

I saw a P3 available on the (I think) Holborn hi-fi site up in Aberdeen today. Going for very good cash I thought.

matthewpiano

the record spot:matthewpiano:Great news. Vinyl is far too special to be allowed to die and its great to know that others share my love for the format. Even on my present stop-gap deck (a Debut III), it can sound wonderfully vibrant and full of life. Can't wait to get the cash together for an upgrade to a P3-24.

I saw a P3 available on the (I think) Holborn hi-fi site up in Aberdeen today. Going for very good cash I thought.

Thanks RS. Bit soon for me unfortunately. My car is due for service, MOT, and tax shortly so no free pennies for hi-fi. The P3 is definitely on the cards for later in the year though. In the meantime I'll keep enjoying the joie-de-vivre of the little Pro-ject.

A

Anonymous

the record spot:matthewpiano:Great news. Vinyl is far too special to be allowed to die and its great to know that others share my love for the format. Even on my present stop-gap deck (a Debut III), it can sound wonderfully vibrant and full of life. Can't wait to get the cash together for an upgrade to a P3-24. I saw a P3 available on the (I think) Holborn hi-fi site up in Aberdeen today. Going for very good cash I thought.

I always did P2 solvent on my vinyl.

A stuff that made the needle slides easely trough the grooves, whats your weight in grams hahahah .

Its all about connection.

In some way the connection is lost in digital.

In analog the connection is real in vinyl.

Sometnig to grap.

Or do i not grap the discussion.

A

Anonymous

matthewpiano:the record spot:matthewpiano:Great news. Vinyl is far too special to be allowed to die and its great to know that others share my love for the format. Even on my present stop-gap deck (a Debut III), it can sound wonderfully vibrant and full of life. Can't wait to get the cash together for an upgrade to a P3-24.

Thanks RS. Bit soon for me unfortunately. My car is due for service, MOT, and tax shortly so no free pennies for hi-fi. The P3 is definitely on the cards for later in the year though. In the meantime I'll keep enjoying the joie-de-vivre of the little Pro-ject.

Matthew - skip the service (get an 'oil service' instead - same basics (oil, top ups of fluids) but without the checks to give them the excuse to give you a large bill, available for £30 from those Kwik peeps), tax to 6 months for a breather on your wallet and fingers crossed the MOT, which would highlight any real flaws (heavily discounted at many garages) doesn't add money.

Then spend the savings on hifi. Simple!
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

Duboracle:
the record spot:matthewpiano:Great news. Vinyl is far too special to be allowed to die and its great to know that others share my love for the format. Even on my present stop-gap deck (a Debut III), it can sound wonderfully vibrant and full of life. Can't wait to get the cash together for an upgrade to a P3-24. I saw a P3 available on the (I think) Holborn hi-fi site up in Aberdeen today. Going for very good cash I thought.
I always did P2 solvent on my vinyl.
A stuff that made the needle slides easely trough the grooves, whats your weight in grams hahahah .
Its all about connection.
In some way the connection is lost in digital.

In analog the connection is real in vinyl.
Sometnig to grap.
Or do i not grap the discussion.

P3 is a turntable? Where are you from? Welcome to the site.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
matthewpiano:...Can't wait to get the cash together for an upgrade to a P3-24.

Me too, especially now the P3-24 'Colours' range includes a superb blue version....

http://www.rega.co.uk/html/p3-24%20colours.htm

I already have the blue mat on my Rega P2 and the blue cartridge (and a couple of blue LPs) as you can see from my avatar. If Rega also launch the RS3 speaker in a matching blue piano gloss this year then I may just have to turn to crime to buy them.

A

Anonymous

Interesting stats, those. It'd be interesting to see what kinds of t/tables are selling - I wonder, between 5-10 years ago I would've guessed that any rise in sales would almost certainly have been due to a rise in ye DJ cultcha. SL1200s, and the cheaper belt-driven double deck affairs that seemed to be for sale everywhere. However, I think that particular kind of buyer has peaked now - perhaps it's more the audiophile crowd, then? Or - maybe - it's people who just prefer the look and heft of vinyl LPs as much as the sound itself. Slightly older indie "kids" who love the bigger format for its packaging?

A

Anonymous

nads:
I was in my local Car audio/AV/TV/HiFi place and they had a selection of Project turntables on display.

I had to read that twice. The first time, I was picturing an in-car turntable.
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

Still a small drop in the AV market ocean, but encouraging noetheless. Doubt those figures will tempt any Japanese companies from supplying the UK market given the current sterling situation though...

A

Anonymous

I've got one of those in car record players Clare. It sits alongside the Audi Symphony Colonic Irrigation kit.

A

Anonymous

Chebby, you seem to know of what you speak! Can you suggest a good Arkiv replacement for me please. Cheap!!!

A

Anonymous

Thanks for that useful input Chebby. I suppose I could also consider a rebuild, as it appears that the worlds experts on this, do reside in Surrey. Possibly that route not much cheaper than the your Linn suggestion though.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts