Turntable playing to fast

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi everyone im new here,

I have a speed problem with my Kenwood KD491F the belt is the correct size when i put a 12" on it plays but its to fast and it is on the 33 setting. But when i put a 45 on and play it at 33 it plays perfect but not on the correct speed of 45.

What could this be ?

Thanks for your time

Mooly

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
It could be one of several things generally. I'm assuming it uses a small DC motor with either a built in or "separate" speed regulator. Separate as in separate from the motor. Unfortunately this forum isn't really the ideal place for this kind of issue. To diagnose would involve at least some dissasembly and basic checks.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your reply :) oh right okay what forum do you think would be a good option?

Many thanks

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
there will be a couple of trimmers on the circuit board, one for 45rpm and of for 33. If you look under the base of the turntable, there may even be little holes allowing you to adjust the speed from below with a small screwdriver. To get the speed right, you need to obtain a 50Hz strobe, or print-out a scan from one, such as this: http://members.multimania.co.uk/willbewill/GL75/strobe50hz.jpg. Pretty obviously, you need to set it using a 50Hz artificial light.

Captain Duff

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I was wondering if you have had the Kenwood for a while and it was ok but isn't now, or if you have just got it s/h? If the latter are you sure that it was designed for the voltage of electricity you are using; e.g., aa TT made for the US market will be highly unlikely to play at the correct speed in the UK and vice-versa?

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
If the voltage was set to 110V and he's here in the UK on double that, I'd expect something to go KABOOM and not just play 33% fast.

Worth checking though!

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
No offence, mate, but unless you know a fair bit about elecronics you could be in for a lot of trouble. My guess would be it's something in the power supply, and I reckon it wouldn't be worth taking outside to be fixed. You'd be better off looking for a secondhand Technics, or getting a new AT or Dual turntable.

TRENDING THREADS