Turntable isolation

TPS3000

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
I have a Project RPM4 turntable with a couple of placement issues. It sits on an an extremely heavy wooden shelving unit that isn't quite level, and despite the weight vibration can still be felt though the shelf when the volume is cranked up.

I've bodged the levelling issue by using paper placed under the feet of the turntable for now but want a proper solution to the levelling and isolation issue..

A hifi rack / turntable shelf isn't an option, suggestions?

I doubt paper is the best stuff to use to level the tt. Doesn't it have adjustable legs to level it. Regarding isolation, I bought a granite plinth(worktop protector) from the local supermarket chain store. I just glued some little rubber grommets on the base and it is doing a decent job for 15 quid.

Mark Rose-Smith said:
I doubt paper is the best stuff to use to level the tt. Doesn't it have adjustable legs to level it. Regarding isolation, I bought a granite plinth(worktop protector) from the local supermarket chain store. I just glued some little rubber grommets on the base and it is doing a decent job for 15 quid.

Mark's idea might suffice. I'd get some proper Sorbothane half-balls under the TT feet themselves or under slab.

Obviously a wall mounted shelf would be best option but as you say it is a no-go.

What's your budget? as there are options.

TPS3000

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
the legs don't appear to be adjustable. It looks like I need an adjustable plinth and the ones I've seen so far aren't. I haven't considered budget but on an rpm 4, audiolab 8000 set up 200 quid doesn't seem appropriate. What do you reckon?

TPS3000 said:
the legs don't appear to be adjustable. It looks like I need an adjustable plinth and the ones I've seen so far aren't. I haven't considered budget but on an rpm 4, audiolab 8000 set up 200 quid doesn't seem appropriate. What do you reckon?

Most cheap turntables with adjustable feet actually are useless. When you screw them out they are so wobbly you might as well not bother.

Level what you actually have them placed on is the answer.

For your budget there are no better options.

GeoffreyW

Sep 17, 2005
Visit site
If headroom isn't a problem, you might try a bamboo chopping board, or even a granite board, resting on two pieces of wood, or perhaps metal pipe, length the same as the depth of the chopping board, and adjust these to achieve a level TT.

My TT was resting directly on a cupboard unit, but found that a granite chopping board, then a high-density MDF board, resting on couple of pieces of teak, about 1 inch by half an inch, about ten inches long, seems to ahve tightened things up.

Or experiment with a board, with screws screwed right through, resting on two-pence coins. Or small ball bearing balls, placed into nuts (as in nut and bolt) or washers, to stop them moving about. Or squash balls, cut in half. Endless hours of fun in prospect.

I'm just waiting for an opportunity to fix a wall shelf for the TT,

chris_bates1974

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I went for the half squash balls. One under each foot of the TT. It did make a difference, but changing cart made a much much bigger difference. Perhaps I'll try the granite as well!!!

TPS3000

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the ideas people.

I went into English audio in Hereford today for some advice today as well, nice chaps.

Think I'll try the a shelf with screws though as a starting point as this will level and isolate for next to zero money. If it works well that leaves budget for a replacement stylus or cartridge!

cheers again.

GeoffreyW

Sep 17, 2005
Visit site
Just thought I'd update on my previous comment, TPS3000. As I said, my TT is also standing on a home-made cupboard unit, and today, I made the following adjustments.

I placed the marble chopping board on four half-inch square pieces of stiffish, plastic foam, taken from the packing used on an electric airer, then placed three ball bearings, approx 5mm diameter onto three nuts from my collection (approx. 4mm hole), then places the bamboo chopping board (an Aldi purchase), which is also the same dimensions as the marble, and stood the RP3 on to the bamboo board.

The result has been quite noticeable. Instruments and voices sound more precise, crisper, more accurate. Listened to Les Brown and his Band of Renown, Paul Simon Graceland, Antonio Forcione, Santana Caravanserai, so far, with more to come, just for fun.

Levelling is not perfect, but doesn't seem to affect things too much. I'm wondering about finding three screws, long enough to go right through the bamboo board and onto the marble board, in place of the nut/bearings, and which can be used to adjust levelling.

Hope you have fun with your system.

GeoffreyW

Sep 17, 2005
Visit site
Just to update my previous post, I've fitted my HiFi Racks wall plinth, then placed the granite board onto it, then screwed three screws through the bamboo board and placed it on top of the granite, then placing the TT on top.

Well, it's certainly improved the sound, it's a far more revealing, more detailed and involving sound, so the advice to site Rega TTs on light supports is sound advice.

I'm still going to fiddle with squash balls, sorbothane hemispheres, etc., just to see how good it can get.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts