Turntable in the £600 area

Hi guy's.I'm looking to upgrade my turntable as the expression 1 is 11 years old and starting to show it's age.I've pretty much narrowed it down to rega rp3,project expression carbon ukx or the rpm3 carbon ,plenty of reviews for the rega and ukx,but can't find much info on the rpm3,oh and it'll be getting a ortofon 2m blue on it straight away.cheers for any info on the rpm3.

Mark Rose-Smith said:
Hi guy's.I'm looking to upgrade my turntable as the expression 1 is 11 years old and starting to show it's age.I've pretty much narrowed it down to rega rp3,project expression carbon ukx or the rpm3 carbon ,plenty of reviews for the rega and ukx,but can't find much info on the rpm3,oh and it'll be getting a ortofon 2m blue on it straight away.cheers for any info on the rpm3.

id be looking at this. As it comes with the blue included

http://www.richersounds.com/product/turntables/project/2-xperience-2-pack/proj-2-xperience-2pk

http://www.richersounds.com/product/turntables/project/2-xperience-2-pack/proj-2-xperience-2pk

Very nice big fish.I have noticed it,but I'll need to save some more cash for that one,when you look at the specs of the experience 2 pack,it does look like a bit of a bargain considering the arm comes in at £750 on it's own.I like it.I want it,but can I wait....Cheers for the input.btw I already have a blue on the expression with only around 10 hrs on it.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
bigfish786 said:
Mark Rose-Smith said:

id be looking at this. As it comes with the blue included

http://www.richersounds.com/product/turntables/project/2-xperience-2-pac...

Thats 300 quid above the OP's budget ... which, I think, already has the Blue looking at his signature.

However, he could sell on one so the difference is smaller.

Other than that, I'd save some money and get a Genie Carbon (which measured superbly and came out equally well subjectively in a HifiNews&RR test).

Two blues! You'd be ok for carts for a good few years!.

The tt looks good value with the quality arm and cart included. I'd be very tempted to save just a little longer.

I would not be disappointed to see that tt on my rack every day.

When your up at the xperience 2 pack price level big fish,there's plenty of competition,clearaudio concept,rp6 and projects rpm9.2 are all within touching distance,it's just a case of how much is enough....and how much will the Mrs let me away with.At the end of the day it's my third source and I'm just getting back into vinyl after 20 yrs of cd buying.Also going down(or up)the upgrade path with cd players from marantz,arcam and naim the last 15 years or so,I'm not convinced anymore such a difference in sound quality is to be had within a certain price point.hence the reason I'm going for a £600 turntable.it'll be a decent upgrade from a £200-£400 unit and not too far behind a £1000 worth of turntable.this is the theory I'm working on at the moment anyway.I've spent quite a bit over the years and I am going to be a bit more conscious over this purchase....maybe.lol.

Chris Munden

Oct 12, 2015
Visit site
Its the old story especially from the reviewers, when reviewing a piece of equipment, "Its performance was way above its price point", its rare to hear them say the opposite. Its the same with turntables, just where do you drawer the line, if its simply budget then that must be the deciding factor and stick to it. At £600, there are some outstandingly good turntables that come around that price. keeping strictly to your original request, I have 3 favourites that punch well above their weight, Rega RP3/Elys, Pro-ject Xpression UKX /Ortofon Silver, Edwards TTMk 2 with any cartridge you fancy. I always ask this question when talking to Hi Fi friends, is a £1000 turntable better than a £500 turntable, well its completely subjective to each individual. Of course its better in some repects but to my thinking the law of dininishing returns comes into play, so is it £500 better or more to the point does it give you £500 of better sound, Hmm. Just to add a third dimension, my missus calls my 25 year old Rega Planar an old plank and why didn't I get some thing that looks nice in the living room, she makes an asthetic point I guess.

Hope this confuses you even more, only joking.

Chris

Having spent months looking at potential purchases in this price region I can agree, there are plenty of turntables to chose from. luckily, I managed to grab a bargain that saved me a good 500 quid when I bought my marantz.

I had looked long and hard at the rega rp6 and the project xperience 2 pack. Both are at a level of price/quality that I would have been happy to own.

every now and then, you get the rp6 up for sale as slight seconds, and that can save you a couple of hundred quid. If you are fixed with your budget, I would look out for them.

there is also this, right on the money.

http://www.vickershifi.com/Products/PJXperienceClassic/pro-ject-xperience-classic

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:
Well, I ordered the project xperience classic that bigfish put me on to, in mahogany and should be with me by Wednesday or Thursday. Again thanks for the help guy's.

Looks like a good buy. You'll have to share your experiences with it (see what I did there? *smile* ).

That's my experience 2 classic arrived,set up and spinning away.the build quality is fantastic.It is sounding so much more together and sure-footed than my old expression 1.the bass digs deeper,the mids so much more natural and the string of a piano sounds so realistic.lovely.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts