Turntable Focused System Suggestions Please?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
I looked up the retail price of the cart. It is 5k (all by the shouting). That's in a very different league. I know it's used but you never know how long the person has had it or how it's been treated.

Anyhoo, the OPs friend needs to source a table first that'll suit his needs.
The second-hand cartridge in question is an abortion of a Koetsu for which he wants £1850.
Wouldn't touch it with a barge-pole.......

Perhaps he is the one trying to flog it... :cool:
Just find it strange that Goldring would retip another brand of stylus without a substantial cost.

Anyway, back to the real world. The OPs friend needs to address the tiled flooring. He could probably get some carpet off-cuts from a flooring shop and stand the speakers on them. With that he can utilize the spikes on the speakers.

Just find it strange that Goldring would retip another brand of stylus without a substantial cost.

Anyway, back to the real world. The OPs friend needs to address the tiled flooring. He could probably get some carpet off-cuts from a flooring shop and stand the speakers on them. With that he can utilize the spikes on the speakers.
I would not be using spikes on speakers or speaker stands on that floor unless metal cups were also employed.

Santa 🧑🎄

Mar 12, 2023
Visit site
Perhaps he is the one trying to flog it... :cool:
No. My username is the same on the Wam. The sale is nothing to do with me.

My suggestion was purely as this is ultra high end, I've heard it in the flesh at a Wam bake-off and it, along with the TT, sounded incredible! The OPs first post says friend wants TT with money being no object. As part of a TT setup that cart fits the bill.

If I could justify such a high value cart and had the readies for it then I would probably buy it myself. As it stands my TT setup is far more humble.

No. My username is the same on the Wam. The sale is nothing to do with me.

My suggestion was purely as this is ultra high end, I've heard it in the flesh at a Wam bake-off and it, along with the TT, sounded incredible! The OPs first post says friend wants TT with money being no object. As part of a TT setup that cart fits the bill.

If I could justify such a high value cart and had the readies for it then I would probably buy it myself. As it stands my TT setup is far more humble.
Go on! Go for it. You know you want to.

skinnypuppy71

Aug 10, 2021
Visit site
I believe a Avid ingenium plug and play (yes I own one)turntable could be a great starter deck for your friend, highly capable straight out the box but also easily upgraded, through a thoughtful path by Avid themselves, heavy duty aluminium platter, motor with a handy switchable speed control unit, not cheap by any stretch but it sounds as if your friend is well healed enough to absorb the cost.lol. Oh and it will take a rega based tonearm system for a easy switchable upgrade.

Reactions: Al ears

Witterings

I / he's at the staage of being about to start buying "bits" ... last question before doing so, are there any turntables with a really good built in phono stage that there's no real advantage to buying an external one or will a decent amp with built in phono stage always be better than any in a turntable ... irrespective of make / model?

Just to put this into context, it's looking for a really good system not necessarily the best of the best if that makes sense?

WayneKerr

I / he's at the staage of being about to start buying "bits" ... last question before doing so, are there any turntables with a really good built in phono stage that there's no real advantage to buying an external one or will a decent amp with built in phono stage always be better than any in a turntable ... irrespective of make / model?

Just to put this into context, it's looking for a really good system not necessarily the best of the best if that makes sense?
Personally I would say that phono stages in turntables should be avoided if at all possible, better stages can be found in an amp or an external one. Just let the turntable do its thing without complications.

Witterings

Personally I would say that phono stages in turntables should be avoided if at all possible, better stages can be found in an amp or an external one. Just let the turntable do its thing without complications.

Taken on board ... the other thing I thought about after posting is if he has an amp with phono stage built in and not on the turntable he can still upgrade to a seperate phone stage later if he wants to.

WayneKerr

Taken on board ... the other thing I thought about after posting is if he has an amp with phono stage built in and not on the turntable he can still upgrade to a seperate phone stage later if he wants to.
Spot-on (y) Find an amp he likes the sound of, if it has an internal phono-stage he'll be quids-in. Everything is tricky about this damned hobby, the desired end-result would be a nice well balanced system: room, source(s), amp, speakers, it's the journey there that's full of rabbit holes and misgivings.

Reactions: Witterings

TRENDING THREADS