Turntable and Integrated Amp Options

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm in the early stages of piecing together my first quality stereo. So far I've got a set of Kef Q700 floorstand speakers which are running off an Yamaha RX-V450 AVR which was recently moved aside to make way for a Denon AVR1912 for home theater duties. The Yamaha was always meant to be a stop-gap solution while I piece some other parts together.

The system is in the living room which is about 25m² with bamboo flooring and quite a lot of glass. Not the best environment for an audiophile setup but it's the only place I've got since turning the pool room into a TV room for the 7.1 setup. I mostly listen to modern rock with a few older bands such as ELO, Dire Straits, Phil Collins, Roxy Music etc thrown in for good measure.

I'm already picking up a few LP's as I find them to build a nice collection, but the vast majority of my music comes via iTunes Match, so 320kbs AAC format from an Apple Airport Express that's currently connected via a digital Toslink cable.

I'm looking at a few turntables at the moment but havent settled on one yet and am looking for advice. The short list is the Rega RP1, Denon DP-300f, and a Pro-ject Debut III. My budget is around $500AUD which I can get these for. I know I will need a pre-amp for the Rega and Pro-ject and had considered this as an extra expense.

A second hand Arcan A70 has come up though which fits the amp bill nicely. It has an onboard phono pre-amp and as new ($1800AUD), was more than twice as expensive as what I was originally budgeting on. It seems to be very well priced, only $400AUD which makes it very tempting. I've read the reviews and the amp has its detractors but it's fair to say that it should be considerably better than a NAD C-326, CA Azure 650A or a Denon PMA-510 which are in the $600 price range I was looking at.

The good thing is that I avoid the cost of the pre-amp, and can instead look to get a DAC for the Airport Express in the future, but in the mean time just run off the Aiport's internal DAC.

So, should I got with the second hand Arcan over a new amp, and which of the above TT's would best suit my style of music and setup?

Thanks

You're on the right lines with both TTs and amps. You could also look for an old s/hand Thorens, although make sure it is dealer serviced though.

In terms of amps look at Rotel, Marantz, Rega, older Alpha range of Arcam. Or alternatively, look at amps without phono stages and add a small outboard box (Nad, Creek...).

The A70 is a fine intro to the brand but models such as the A65+, A80, Alpha 7/8/9 are far better in terms of grip. The A70, IMO, lacks 'get up and go'.

matthewpiano

I've owned an A65+, an A70, and an A18 in the past and I'd say the A70 is comfortably the worst of those three. I'd also say that the A65+ is probably the best overall, with an engaging and involving sound, but even this amp is comfortably matched or even improved upon by amps like the NAD C326BEE, Marantz PM6004, and Yamaha A-S500 IMO.

The A70 is a damp squid IMO. No dynamic ability at all, unless you buy a matching power amp and bi-amp which adds considerably more cost

A

Anonymous

Thanks Matthew, this was exactly the kind of honest feedback I was after. Incidentally I have been looking at the PM6004 and I think I'll get that from a local store packaged with a RP1 TT. I also really like the Marantz NA7004 for digital duties and it's DAC. It suits the PM6004 perfectly too.

matthewpiano

Brash said:
Thanks Matthew, this was exactly the kind of honest feedback I was after. Incidentally I have been looking at the PM6004 and I think I'll get that from a local store packaged with a RP1 TT. I also really like the Marantz NA7004 for digital duties and it's DAC. It suits the PM6004 perfectly too.

The Marantz is a cracking amp and it has a good phono stage too, which will work very well with the RP1. Given your musical interests I think you'll appreciate the even handed but involving sound of the Marantz. Also, KEF actually used the previous PM6003 at shows to demonstrate the Q series - it is a good match. Let us know how you get on!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts