Turntable advice

muzyki

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site
Hi, I've just inherited a bunch of my mum's old records and I want to buy a cheapish turntable to play them on. My budget is £100 max, but I don't need USB capability or inbuilt speakers or anything (a lot of the ones I've seen towards the lower end of the market come with these features, but can I get something of higher quality if I sacrifice them?) And should I go new or secondhand? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
I would hunt out a working SL-DL1 on eBay. You should be able to get one for £50 or less including original Technics cartridge. £13 would get you a new stylus for it.

Daz B

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
If you don't need a USB connection,look to get a nice 2nd hand turntable. Try and avoid the really cheap turntables that you see advitised in newspapers. A lot of people on other vinyl forums advise not to buy Crossley turntables because of the cheap stylus that come with them. I am still using my Rega P1 after 7 years trusting service,this was the predecessor to the current Rega RP1. If you could pick up one of these 2nd hand I would highly recommend this. If you do go down the 2nd hand route,make sure the stylus is in good condition as you don't want to damage the records your mum as left you.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
You didn't mention whether the £100 is expected to also cover the purchase of an amp and speakers, which you'll need if you don't intend just to buy a Steepletone / Crossley shitbox. If it is, you're probably expecting too much for too little to be honest.

MajorFubar said:
You didn't mention whether the £100 is expected to also cover the purchase of an amp and speakers, which you'll need if you don't intend just to buy a Steepletone / Crossley shitbox. If it is, you're probably expecting too much for too little to be honest.

Roger that. Slightly lacking on information.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts