Turntable Advice

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Can anyone suggest turntable's i should be looking at to match my current system? I have the moon cd-1 and i-1 with ProAc Tablette Reference 8 Signatures, Abbey Road interconnets and Chord SilverScreen cable, Atacama nexus 6 stands.

I want to get upgrade and get rid of my project debut 3, but not sure how far i would need to go. Last time i listened to it (before the needle died) it certainly wasn't as enjoyable as a cd.

Clear Audio Emotion's look nice and get the good reviews as do the rega p3's, but i also like the Project RPM 6.1

I was also thinking of saving up more and going for the Roksan Radius 5 or Michell Gyro se, but the latter certainly seems to get criticised here for being a little uninvolving?

Obviously i'll listen before i buy, but the shop might think i'm taking the micky if i ask to listen to too many decks from £500 up to £1200. Also i assume i'll need to change my Nad pp2 phono stage? (good timing on the WHF round up this month)

T

the record spot

Audio Note TT1 and TT2 (picked up the Systemdek baton and improved on it apparently - very nice looking decks).

Good quality used LP12. Roksan Radius. Project Xperience Pack (circa £800 nowadays). Clearaudio Emotion Blue (very smart). Check the new Thorens range too; might be something in your bracket.

A

Anonymous

Project X-Pack.

Wonderful & with Ortofon Red Cartridge & good set of I/Cs plus speed changer.

Around £800 now but still a great buy.

DistortedVision

Feb 18, 2008
Visit site
The Michell Gyro SE is uninvolving??? Says who?

fast eddie:

I was also thinking of saving up more and going for the Roksan Radius 5 or Michell Gyro se, but the latter certainly seems to get criticised here for being a little uninvolving?

A

Anonymous

What about that all-time classic, the LP12. Still a wonderful turntable, at least to my jaded ears.

Failing that, the Clearaudio range is really excellent.

DistortedVision

Feb 18, 2008
Visit site
The Michell Gyro SE would be outside of your budget with a tonearm and cartridge. I was going to recommend the Clearaudio Performance which Clare has but then realised that its also beyond your budget. The Thorens TD 2030 which I was also going to recommend is also alot more than you want to spend.

So I'd have to go with the Roksan Radius 5 with Nima tonearm with enough left in your budget for a decent cartridge.

nads

fast eddie:Also i assume i'll need to change my Nad pp2 phono stage? (good timing on the WHF round up this month)

If you do i would be interested in what you get.

also i am a little confused as to what this Project X-Pack/Project Xperience Pack is?

as i guess they mean the Pro-Ject 2 Xperience SuperPack 1 & 2 which can come with the Ortofon MC Rondo Red ?

As this is the turntable i have and i am VERY happy with it. but feel the pp2 may need an upgrade.

T

the record spot

Originally, this was the Project X-Pack which sold for £650, which got you the Project t/t, with the external speed control and the Ortofon Rondo Red cartridge. Great deal as the cart was £300 alone. I understand the price is now circa £800 which is a bit of a hike, but an ex-dem or clearance version isn't out the question.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
the record spot:Audio Note TT1 and TT2 (picked up the Systemdek baton and improved on it apparently - very nice looking decks).

Good quality used LP12. Roksan Radius. Project Xperience Pack (circa £800 nowadays). Clearaudio Emotion Blue (very smart). Check the new Thorens range too; might be something in your bracket.

Tell me more about the Audionote TT1. Have you heard one? (Especially with a Rega arm.) Is it one of those 'wibbly wobbly' decks like the Linn LP12 - that needs regular 'tuning' - or is it stable over a long period?

I would like my next deck to be something with a suspended subchassis but preferably not one that is 'needy' or goes out-of-whack over time.

It is rather handsome in a utilitarian sort of way....

tt-1_05.jpg

T

the record spot

I heard one years ago and rather liked it. It continues the S'dek design theme, but I understand AN updated it to their own spec.

Here's a review from a certain well known magazine when the TT1 was product of the year back in 2003:-

http://www.audionote.co.uk/articles/reviews/what_hifi_awards_2003_an_tt1.pdf

and here's another shot of the TT1 from the Noteworthy Audio site:-

you might need to scroll down the page for this one if it doesn't open up at the right place on first click - http://www.noteworthyaudio.co.uk/Turntables1.html

A

Anonymous

What about this? Just need an arm and cart.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=120361656117&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih=002ÿ

A

Anonymous

I know Gregory said the gyro se was a little lacking in emotion. I also seem remember someone saying they swapped the gyro for a thorens (i think) and much prefered it.

I'll have to search for the threads when i get home.

Keep the suggestions coming. I feel like i only know the 'big' names so may be missing out on some little gems.

Also i have a linn Adikt sitting at home waiting to be used so i can not worry about that at least!

eidt: anyone had experience with the audio solid brand? i like the look of the 'Wood'

DistortedVision:
The Michell Gyro SE is uninvolving??? Says who?

fast eddie:

A

Anonymous

In my opinion you'll have to spend alot more money to better the Gyro sound. Absolutely superb, here is a review.

http://whathifi.com/Review/Michell-Gyrodec-SETecnoArm-A/ÿ

A

Anonymous

the record spot:I heard one years ago and rather liked it. It continues the S'dek design theme, but I understand AN updated it to their own spec.

Here's a review from a certain well known magazine when the TT1 was product of the year back in 2003:-

http://www.audionote.co.uk/articles/reviews/what_hifi_awards_2003_an_tt1.pdf

and here's another shot of the TT1 from the Noteworthy Audio site:-

you might need to scroll down the page for this one if it doesn't open up at the right place on first click - http://www.noteworthyaudio.co.uk/Turntables1.html

My dealer is Noteworthy Audio...that turntable is utter perfection (my debut) + some.

A

Anonymous

And whilst we're on the subject, fact of the day: The Audio Note TT3 has a motor which can effectively push 7Bhp@33.3rpm out! However, it was so powerful that they had to turn it down to 2Bhp because it used to start so quickly that it would snap the belts after two or three start-ups. That's a serious turntable!!!

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
chebby:DistortedVision:So I'd have to go with the Roksan Radius 5 with Nima tonearm with enough left in your budget for a decent cartridge.

Superb example of a Raduis 5 (with a bespoke lid) here

Do you think there are two fatboyslimfasts out there or is this our forum member. Small world innit. A certain mr smith rates this highly.

A

Anonymous

the record spot:I heard one years ago and rather liked it. It continues the S'dek design theme, but I understand AN updated it to their own spec.

It shows the value of discussion. I never knew the Systemdek was still in production. It was my first audiophile experience. My dad and I went to listen to it and the Acoustic Research EB101. The EB101 was good, but the systemdek was on another level. Before that session we were both hi-fi skeptics.

I would be tempted to put history right and buy one, but most of my few hundred LPs are ******** to hell. At least I know the thing is still alive.

T

the record spot

Ah, to clarify, the Systemdek isn't. Audio Note took the underlying design, but added their own modifications to it (I'd emailed them a couple of years back). It's a bit like one of those upgrades that keeps a CDs chassis, but strips out the internals. Heart did one a few years back with a Marantz CD6000 player I think.

That said, it rarely gets a nod past the Regas and Projects of the world, but I'd put good money down that the Audio Note range would give any deck a run for their money.

TRENDING THREADS