Turntable advice, AT-LP7 or....

Apr 12, 2020
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I know there are lots of threads out there on forums about which is the best turntable under X etc. but I would like some more refined input given my set-up. I moved to the US from the UK - there I had a Thorens TD125MkII with SME tonearm / Shure V15 (from what I can remember).

I am looking for a replacement. I have a NAD D2020 amp (note it's the first model WITHOUT phono input: NAD D 3020 review | What Hi-Fi? ) and Q Acoustics 2020i speakers.

My budget is $800 or lower. Audio quality is obviously very important to me but then again not to the point where I am going to obsess over it. I actually have some tinnitus and hearing loss at very high levels so....
:(

I really like the Audio-Technica AT-LP7 for $800 new / $600 used (apparently open box/1 month use but missing the little flip down protector for the cartridge. Meh). I really like the look and looks like it has everything I need ready to go.

Also wondering about a SL-1200 MK2 or 3. I could get one for ~$400 or so. I would love the Mk7 but since it doesn't come with a cartridge it's going to be out of my price range.

In terms of looks I prefer the J-shaped tonearm like the SME. Dust cover is important. I do need to consider the lack of phono input on my amp.

Looking forward to your input!
Emma

JonB1001

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
I'd suggest a Rega RP1 would suit the amp/speakers more and leave you with a lot of spare change to buy a phono amp (Rega Fono Mini or a low end Graham Slee would do the job). You can always spend some more of the money you've saved in due course with the RP1 upgrade pack.

record_spot

If you can get one, check out the Eagletone Engineering One.Two - I bought one earlier this year as NOS for £250 (original price £500). It's a Super OEM Technics clone and I have to say, while it wasn't a totally serious purchase at the outset (more to see what these things are like) I have to say I'm really quite impressed by it.

I used to have a P3 / AT440MLa combo a few years back and this deck stacks up very well by comparison. Vetical arm lift, easy speed change, terrific direct drive motor and great vinyl playback. You should get one on Ebay now for about £290 as the price has gone back up.

Also comes with phono-ins, so you can use your own interconnects, and your own mains lead, should you be into such things (I'm not for the latter and use Fisual interconnects throughout these days).

If you can get one, check out the Eagletone Engineering One.Two - I bought one earlier this year as NOS for £250 (original price £500). It's a Super OEM Technics clone and I have to say, while it wasn't a totally serious purchase at the outset (more to see what these things are like) I have to say I'm really quite impressed by it.

I used to have a P3 / AT440MLa combo a few years back and this deck stacks up very well by comparison. Vetical arm lift, easy speed change, terrific direct drive motor and great vinyl playback. You should get one on Ebay now for about £290 as the price has gone back up.

Also comes with phono-ins, so you can use your own interconnects, and your own mains lead, should you be into such things (I'm not for the latter and use Fisual interconnects throughout these days).
As this thread is three months old I think he may have one by not.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts