Turntable - 1st in a while

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
aving recently uncovered a stack of my old vinyl from a few years ago.....I have decided to add a turntable to my Marantz equipment, however I have never actually owned a turntable as a seperate and was wondering if the Rega Planar 3, as listed below would be a good entry level TT.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/REGA-Planar-3-Turntable-/150546189435?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Turntables&hash=item230d408c7b

Also can I plug my turntable straight into my PM6003 amp or would I see better benefits by adding a seperate phono stage (do I just plug this into the phono stage on the amp)?

Im also looking at the following:

Pro-ject (although not sure which TT would be best)

Rega P1

Thorens TD 240-2

I have up to £400 to spend possibly slightly more, what do you guys think / recommendations.

Amyl Right Mate

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Jason36:would I see better benefits by adding a seperate phono stage (do I just plug this into the phono stage on the amp)?

A seperate phono stage plugs into a spare line level input definitely not the in-built phono stage of the amp. That would mean the output from the cartridge would be getting "boosted" by 2 phono stages. Hopefully the worst that would happen in that instance would be to trip the amps auto cut off, but I wouldn't want to try it...

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Hey,

If you want a TT that looks a little different and has a perfomance level well beyond it's price point, then i'd chuck my deck into the ring: Pro-Ject RPM-4.

rpm5.jpg

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
The Rega Planar 3 is a great deck, and there is nothing wrong with thr R200 arm that the earlier models (such as the one mentioned) had - it's known for being very reliable. I would guess it will go for around £100-£150. Budget £15 for a new belt from any Rega dealer, and you are away.

However, the K9 cartridge is quite old, and new styli are difficult to come by. I certainly wouldn't be using a stylus that has sat for 15 years - the rubber cantilever mount will have hardened off and could lead to damaged records.

I would recommend spending a little on a new cartridge such as the Goldring Elan (£20ish) or Audio Technica AT-95E (£35ish). I've had both, and they are both cracking little carts, at no more than a replacement stylus for the K9 (which in essence, is a modified AT-95E body with an uprated stylus on it anyway!).

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Hi guys,

Thanks for all your help and advice,

Trying to find a Pro-ject RPM 4 which seem to be quiet scarce :-( however I have seen a Pro-ject RPM9 on a well know auction site which is 3 years old and currently at £140.00 which comes with a brand new still boxed ClearAudio Classic Wood Cartidge.

Also

A Very good condition Rega Planar 3 with RB300 Tonearm, Blue Elys2 Cartridge and Heavy Glass Platter, this is currently at £52.00 with 4 days to go....probably expect it to reach £150.00 ish.

What do you think about these combinations and can I just plug these into my MM output on the Marantz?

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
I won't link to the RPM9 auction (as posts on here tend to get indexed by google amazing quickly) to give you a chance to bid if you want to!

That is a great price, but I doubt it's going to go for that - I would expect it to nearly double.

The rega is a nice one, but budget for a new cartridge - the "Not sure of the life left" would say "budget for a replacement" to me, as you cannot get new styli for rega carts - only a trade in on a new one.

Any turntable with a moving magnet cartridge should be fine with your Marantz however. Both the above certainly are.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Oh wow, that RPM-9s thick acrylic platter looks the business! I'd be making a last minute bid on that, if it were me. With that new cartridge included, I wouldn't mind paying £400 for it.

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
I have Bretty
emotion-5.gif

3 hours to go and its currently at £330.00 (Im highest Bidder). This sounds like an amazing TT for that money. Its only 3 years old and comes with a ClearAudio Classic Wood Cartridge (that must be worth £60 - £80 alone) Fingers crossed for me guys.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Jason36:
I have Bretty
emotion-5.gif

3 hours to go and its currently at £330.00 (Im highest Bidder). This sounds like an amazing TT for that money. Its only 3 years old and comes with a ClearAudio Classic Wood Cartridge (that must be worth £60 - £80 alone) Fingers crossed for me guys.

Ok, you've bid a little early, but that's alright. That's still a cheap price, which means there'll probably be a flurry of bids in the last few minutes. If you get outbid before the last few minutes, don't make another bid straight away. Wait until the last ten seconds, otherwise you'll just push the price up. If I was bidding on it, i'd wait until the last 10 seconds, and then go in at £450, just to make sure I nabbed it.

That's if you get outbid, that is. It might be your lucky day and you get for the £330. I've got my fingers crossed for you, mate.

Let us know how it goes.

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Hmmm you were right Bretty,

Think I bid to early as it is now up to £370.00. OK so I have to show a bit of constraint and wait till nearly the end of the auction to try and win it. I think if I end up paying just over £400.00 for this then it will still be a bargain :)

Also watching a Pro-ject RPM 6 currently at £250 and a Rega Plannar 3 with RB300 arm and Rega Elys2 Catridge currently at £79.00.

I have a feeling that if I secure the RPM9 then I may be looking or needing to upgrade my speakers and amplifier to get the best out of it.

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Missed out on the RPM 9. It finally went for £495.00 which in honesty was more than I was willing to pay.

Still considering an RPM6 or a Rega Planar 3 but may also consider a Genie 3 as the reintroduction into TT's

northernsoul

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Jason36:
Missed out on the RPM 9. It finally went for £495.00 which in honesty was more than I was willing to pay.

Still considering an RPM6 or a Rega Planar 3 but may also consider a Genie 3 as the reintroduction into TT's

You won't go wrong if you decide to but the Planar 3 with the Elys 2 cart, I have that TT with the cart and I am not disappointed with the resuts. The great thing with the Rega is that there are plethora of upgrades available which can turn a great deck into a fantastic one!

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Jason36:

Never mind, mate. You can't win 'em all.

I'd never seen an RPM-6 before I looked at the auction that's going on now. Like the RPM-9, I'm loving that HUGE platter. Just keep in mind, whatever deck you decide to bid on, don't make your move until the last 10 seconds. Or download Goofbay and use the 'sniper' function, and it will make the bid for you, automatically, a couple of seconds before the auction's end.

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Well That's it.......

I'm now the proud owner of a Rega Planar 3 Turntable fitted with an RB300 Tonearm and Rega Elys 2 Cartidge. I have seen photos of this turntable and it is like new....excellent condition.

Cant wait to take delivery and for all my new vinyl to arrive that Ive also had a spending spree on :) As well as my old vinyl as well of course.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts