Tube Pin Ups - your pics.

Jasonovich

I love the organic analogue sound of tubes and also see the benefits of solid state amps, two different creatures but if setup correctly, it could take you to a place you've never been.

Despite the reliability of tubes, if I had to start again, I would seriously consider building my system around tube amplification.
I'm really impress with these Cayin's, it looks quality. I was going to buy Cayin digital transport but priced well beyond my reach, so had to settle for the JF's. I can only imagine these Cayin tubes are priced in the stratosphere. Thought I share.

View: https://youtu.be/wF_UCfiL2EM?si=CSAkfxIS9w9imvNn

This Tube headamp is eye candy, love the cage.

View: https://youtube.com/shorts/XiZARa7S7Y4?si=K_MhXAa0FoICJ-Oh

1726057100682.png

What are your thoughts on tube amplification?

Last edited:
Reactions: Revolutions

Revolutions

I’d like to hear a proper valve setup.

Given the frustrations I have when my guitar amps play up, I’ve never considered it for hifi. I want something I can just turn on & not be concerned that it’s gonna crap out at any point. I don’t really like the look of boxes with valves poking out of them either.

Maybe I should try a cheap headphone amp at some point though.

Jasonovich

Class A solid state is as close as I’d want to get to tubes they’re a little to much for me to run on the daily.

But I did have a five knuckle shuffle over a primaluna before purchasing the sugden.
Love the Sugdens, they're so goo wee, sweet polite sounding, as close as you get to tubes. I am of course referring to 12 watt class A Sugdens I use to own back in my bachelor days. These matched nicely with B&W BBC designed monitors.

I love the holographic sound of tubes but when the tubes started to pop on my old Edison's, it became a chore. Modern solid state amps have evolved and it kind of negates much of the benefits of tube amps.

1726062634161.png

Jasonovich

100year old valve amps are still running made in USA & Europe, Chinese yes agree will not last very long
Western Electric made for the Jazz Singer 1st talkie in the 1920s still working everyday
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1TiHj2j6GU&t=134s
That's reassuring to hear, you can replace the Chinese tubes with British and American ones. I do wish they sell them without the tubes, so you can decide on your own preference tubes.

Amazing YT video, this must be some kind of a music library for the vinyl devotees.

Last edited:

SallyB

Jan 18, 2022
Visit site
Some more pics there, also here’s mine!
img_0676-png.7394

Juzzie Wuzzie

I will not lie - the Primaluna set up is not the most user friendly (physically switch on, wait, hear music ...) and cost me a pretty penny to fix the power amplifier when it died last year. BUT ... everyone comments on it from a looks perspective ("oh, the glow") and love the warm sound - so that makes it kind of worth while.

If I want ease of use and don't want to switch them on, there are two Sonos Arcs and a Connect Amp driving some in-ceiling speakers that I can use (but I rarely do).

Whilst the power amplifier was getting fixed, I went back to my Naim Uniti Lite which, to be fair, is easy to use and sounds great as well.

As I've said on other posts, if I was doing it all over again, I'd probably go WiiM Amp or one of its many competitors. or WiiM ultra into a power amplifier.

Gray

What are your thoughts on tube amplification?
An old fashioned technology that made transistors seem like a good idea.
(You asked for my thoughts, I'm only being honest).

I'm certainly not one for all things modern, but valves have no appeal for me.

I've got some loft items that I've acquired that contain them - a couple of reel to reel recorders, a prototype preamp (never sold as far as I know) and even a portable radio, that most would describe as a "transistor radio", except that it contains small valves - and was powered by a 67volt battery.

If the look and sound appeals, good luck - but just not for my hi-fi.

I will not lie - the Primaluna set up is not the most user friendly (physically switch on, wait, hear music ...) and cost me a pretty penny to fix the power amplifier when it died last year. BUT ... everyone comments on it from a looks perspective ("oh, the glow") and love the warm sound - so that makes it kind of worth while.

If I want ease of use and don't want to switch them on, there are two Sonos Arcs and a Connect Amp driving some in-ceiling speakers that I can use (but I rarely do).

Whilst the power amplifier was getting fixed, I went back to my Naim Uniti Lite which, to be fair, is easy to use and sounds great as well.

As I've said on other posts, if I was doing it all over again, I'd probably go WiiM Amp or one of its many competitors. or WiiM ultra into a power amplifier.
And that, with auto biasing, has the PrimaLunas some of the most user friendly tube amps put there...... :)

Jasonovich

An old fashioned technology that made transistors seem like a good idea.
(You asked for my thoughts, I'm only being honest).

I'm certainly not one for all things modern, but valves have no appeal for me.

I've got some loft items that I've acquired that contain them - a couple of reel to reel recorders, a prototype preamp (never sold as far as I know) and even a portable radio, that most would describe as a "transistor radio", except that it contains small valves - and was powered by a 67volt battery.

If the look and sound appeals, good luck - but just not for my hi-fi.
Some say transistors are superior to circuit designs, that the latter was invented for cost effective solutions, maximise those profit margins, while transistors were made with love. Don't know, may be there is some truth in this. It's a good point you make Gray.

Tubes have some appeal to me but I wouldn't uproot what I have, only to have the sound of tubes, and there's the bulbs being blown and the costly replacements but if I was starting from scratch, I might consider it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gray

A-Line

Feb 3, 2022
Visit site
I have 2 setups: Analog All Solid State & Digital All Tubes except for my tuner.

To me digital sounds better with tubes as it smooths out any digital harshness very nicely.

Just my opinion.

Attachments

• 1000013014.jpg
    1000013014.jpg
    257.2 KB · Views: 7
Reactions: Jasonovich

skinnypuppy71

Had no issues with my primaluna dialogue premium hp amplifier.....kt120 's.....visitors always comment on it.....positively I might add.....would love to post pics....but it never works out for me.lol

Jasonovich

Get your Kicks on TA 66. Back in Arizona, don't forget Winona, get your kicks on TA 66.

I had some dirty thoughts about tube amps, I do miss that over dose of sugary sounds, particularly bluesy jazzy vocals.

So I was toying with tube headphones to add to my Bedroom-HiFi.

I'm swayed by TA's 66, point to point wiring, below:
1726228090900.png

That little marvel that's currently the buzz on YouTube XDUOO TA-66. It costs a mere £200. The construction is top notch.

1726228153400.png

Or I could pay a little less for Little Dot MKII or MKIII.

The only draw back with the abovementioned, the power switch at rear, on positive side, these are *OTL pure tube amps, not hybrids and there's option for tube rolling.
It will be nice for me to have a little door open for tubes, and a tube head amp will give you a glimpse to both worlds. Some tracks will sound amazing on tubes, like vocals and string instruments while others more suited for solid state, particularly fast transients, steady stereo imaging, wider sound stage and less distortion.
The Focal Elegia will be suited because of high OHMS (35 ohms), not sure about the Planar Magnets, Hifiman Edition XS but latter has low sensitivity 87db (or there ish), so these may work.

There's also the DarkVoice, but I don't think it's anywhere as good as the TA 66.
If you have any suggestions, I love to hear.

*OTL = Output Transformer Less (you need high Ohms headphones)

Last edited:

Jasonovich

Get your Kicks on TA 66. Back in Arizona, don't forget Winona, get your kicks on TA 66.

I had some dirty thoughts about tube amps, I do miss that over dose of sugary sounds, particularly bluesy jazzy vocals.

So I was toying with tube headphones to add to my Bedroom-HiFi.

I'm swayed by TA's 66, point to point wiring, below:
View attachment 7411

That little marvel that's currently the buzz on YouTube XDUOO TA-66. It costs a mere £200. The construction is top notch.

View attachment 7412

Or I could pay a little less for Little Dot MKII or MKIII.

The only draw back with the abovementioned, the power switch at rear, on positive side, these are OTL pure tube amps, not hybrids and there's option for tube rolling.
It will be nice for me to have a little door open for tubes, and a tube head amp will give you a glimpse to both worlds. Some tracks will sound amazing on tubes, like vocals and string instruments while others more suited for solid state, particularly fast transients, steady stereo imaging, wider sound stage and less distortion.
The Focal Elegia will be suited because of low OHMS (32ohms), not sure about the Planar Magnets, Hifiman Edition XS but latter has low sensitivity 87db (or there ish), so these may work.

There's also the DarkVoice, but I don't think it's anywhere as good as the TA 66.
If you have any suggestions, I love to hear.

Update after many hours of YT video busting and I noticed I had 20% discount bonus vouchers from AliExpress from previous purchases, this was enough for me to be swayed (believe it doesn't take much!). I went ahead and purchased the TA-66 at a very reasonable £183 including VAT and delivery. Nice :)

I'll run the cables directly from the Matrix Streamer DAC output into the tube amp. The Focal Elegia will end DAP duties and assigned permanently to the bedroom HiFi, yeah I was getting some weird looks from unsavoury members of the Wood Green community. My commuting journeys will be better served from now on, using my KZ earphones!

I think if you were thinking about tubes but don't wish to uproot your system. A tube headphone amp is the best option. It's like having vinyl without the scratches and interruption.

Harmonic Distortion Baby, gimme some! :)

View: https://youtu.be/fUPRP4O_a0Y?si=m6hstO544UE4NT-O

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts