Tube amplifiers

dakchi

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Hello,

I have always been attracted by tube amplifiers. I understood that they provide a warm sound which is exactly what I like. I already have a hifi setup made of a pair of Monitor Audio RX6 speakers and a cambridge CXA80 integrated amplifier. I would like to keep the amplifier I have and was wondering how I can add a tube amplifier in this setup. According to my investigations, 'budget' tube amplifiers are not very powerful and will not be able to drive my speakers alone. Hence my questions: how can I add a tube amplifier to my setup to make the sound warmer? what budget tube amplifier (max 300 euros) would you recommend?

Many thanks for your help

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
For that budget ($300-$500) you have options from Dared, Yaqin or Jolida. Check for local sellers where you are or look on ebay.

dakchi

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Vladimir said:
For that budget ($300-$500) you have options from Dared, Yaqin or Jolida. Check for local sellers where you are or look on ebay.

Thank you for your response. I should be looking for a power amp, right? if that is the case, will the tube amp still affect the sound?

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
dakchi said:
Vladimir said:

Thank you for your response. I should be looking for a power amp, right? if that is the case, will the tube amp still affect the sound?

What is available for a basic budget are mostly tube integrated amps and preamps. I'm not sure you'll be able to find a tube poweramp.

Vladimir said:
dakchi said:
Vladimir said:

What is available for a basic budget are mostly tube integrated amps and preamps. I'm not sure you'll be able to find a tube poweramp.

Vladimir is correct. Good, cheap valve power amps are rare and probably not what you need.

Don't be under the impression all valve amps are 'warm' this is a phallacy. You would be better off looking for a valve integrated. If you buy second-hand then also budget for a complete replacement of the tubes.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Al ears said:
Vladimir said:
dakchi said:
Vladimir said:

Vladimir is correct. Good, cheap valve power amps are rare and probably not what you need.

Don't be under the impression all valve amps are 'warm' this is a phallacy. You would be better off looking for a valve integrated. If you buy second-hand then also budget for a complete replacement of the tubes.

His MA RX6 are well paired with the CA CXA80, a nice modern hifi setup and clear detailed sound. But with the new 300e itch he can start a second vintage system with more efficient speakers, valve flea amp, big VU meters, or a hybrid like the Luxman LV-105 or 103 (valves in preamp). Like a separate adventure into oldschool hifi sound.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Your best result at that price point is going to be a hybrid valve preamplifier and solid state power amplifier. Something like the Behringer A500 for power (€175) and then take your pick from the countless Douk Audio, Nobsound (not a typo!), or kit based valve pre-amplifiers available on eBay.

Adding a €300 valve power amplifier to your Cambridge pre-outs just won't cut the mustard because even very reasonable valve power amps are much more expensive than that.

dakchi

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
According to my investigations, a tube buffer would be exactly do what I am looking for. However I don't know how I can connect it to my setup. My music is stored in a NAS and processed through a Chromecast Audio to my amp optical input via an optical cable. All the tube buffer I have found have stereo RCA input. A solution would be to buy a jack 3.5 to RCA cable to connect Chromecast Audio with the tube buffer, but I guess I will lose quality since I will be using Chromecast DAC instead of the amp DAC (which is higher quality) and a jack connector intead of mini toslink.

Any help would be very much appreciated

Thanks

dakchi said:
According to my investigations, a tube buffer would be exactly do what I am looking for. However I don't know how I can connect it to my setup. My music is stored in a NAS and processed through a Chromecast Audio to my amp optical input via an optical cable. All the tube buffer I have found have stereo RCA input. A solution would be to buy a jack 3.5 to RCA cable to connect Chromecast Audio with the tube buffer, but I guess I will lose quality since I will be using Chromecast DAC instead of the amp DAC (which is higher quality) and a jack connector intead of mini toslink.

Thanks

I fear, in your particular setup, a buffer may not be the way forward. Maybe somebody could supply a way to rig one in but I cannot.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
What about this bad boy as a valve pre amplifier with an internal 24/96 DAC and Bluetooth:

https://www.audio-shop.co.uk/product-page/ez-0007?gclid=CK3l_7OT5dICFYU-GwodMjoFeA

In to a Behringer A500 Reference power amplifier:

https://www.bax-shop.co.uk/amplifier/behringer-a500-amplifier?gclid=CNOuuOSU5dICFZG6GwodlHIFmw

Then sell your existing amp to more than make up the shortfall in funds of €125-ish? You could even add the power amp at a later date given that the Steljes Audio ML-30HD is an integrated amp in its own right.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Al ears said:
dakchi said:

Thanks

I fear, in your particular setup, a buffer may not be the way forward. Maybe somebody could supply a way to rig one in but I cannot.

I haven't tried this myself, but I guess you could go: PM6005 Rec out -- RCA -- tube buffer -- RCA -- PM6005 Rec in. And then choose REC IN as input. You can then switch the tube buffer in/out on the fly, switching inputs (Toslink <--> Rec In). No?

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Many years ago Musical Fidelity did a tube buffer called X10D.

I had one for a while before I got all serious about Valve Amps. It added a tubey warmth, but you can't beat the real thing.

insider9

Infiniteloop said:
Many years ago Musical Fidelity did a tube buffer called X10D. 

I had one for a while before I got all serious about Valve Amps. It added a tubey warmth, but you can't beat the real thing. 
Is that the Missing Link tube like (shape that is) design?

This subject interests me also as this could mean I'd get I22 to work with my speakers.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Rethep said:
CnoEvil said:
Infiniteloop said:
....but you can't beat the real thing.

^ This.

+1 ! Only a good (=not cheap, maybe 2nd hand) total tube-amp gives you the magic. Have a demo somewhere and then decide if the difference is worth the (more) money!

In my experience only a hybrid (valve pre and ss power) gives you the 'affordable' magic. Good valve power amps cost many £K. The OP only has €300 to spend.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts