Truly happy?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

JoelSim:
Funny isn't it, that we are all searching for nirvana, not the Kurt Kobain one, but the hifi one.

Who, on this forum is 100% happy with their set-up?

I'm happy about 95% of the time when I really love my system, but the odd disc sounds, well, not quite as good as expected or wanted.

It would be good to hear from all those who have complete and utter 'can't do better' feelings, so that it gives people a good idea of synergistic system matchings.

Listening at the moment is top class, as will the next CD be, and the one after that, but there are a couple I won't play as I don't enjoy them as much as I 'ought' to.

ÿ

It depends how you feel I think. I find if I'm tired the setup sounds terrible............

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I'll let you know when I have found what happiness is in relation to hi-fi. I like the look of it, the sound is good and I pay attention to the details.

A lot of music makes me happy, a lot leaves me sad. Some music I cannot even listen to alone without getting one of Churchill's 'Black dogs'. I can't listen to Pink Floyd (DSOTM, WYWH, The Wall etc) without wanting to slit my throat after 10 minutes! (I guess I should not listen to the words.)

I am content that my hi-fi is performing well withing the constraints of a budget system and that I have rectified a mistake or two. (Rega cartridges are a mistake and that cost me about £65 to put right. Expensive lesson but well remembered now.)

If anyone can define happiness (as opposed to just feeling good) then let us know. My suspicion is that it is all chemical.

A

Anonymous

Having just bought my first proper hifi, yes I'm truely happy, though a DAC is coming.

From reading these forums, it seems that there are definite levels of quality / commitment.

all in ones like the Denon M37ÿ

cheap and cheerful CDP, amp and speakers as a bundle for sub 400ÿ

first jump into separates - sub thousand pounds for everything.

ÿAbove this you are a committed music person and are spending 7-800 or (much) more per item and it becomes a matter of preference rather than absolute quality.

Arguably there is another level around the cyrus6 / roksan Kandy level, but at this level it is becoming a hobby and along side the music this is something you spend money. Like climbing gear, bicycles or camera lenses have been in the past for me.

Looking at the hifi world as an outsider (I make web applications for a publisher and write books), the world of my friends and mine revolves around iTunes or similar, there is an awareness of compressed vs lossless, but theÿconvenienceÿÿfactor of music on an iPod weighs out over the absolute SQ. TV led av systems connected to airport express boxes are the way for music at home, not me though I'm not a fan of tv.

Would I be happier with a roksan kandy k2, posher speakers or a valve amp? The hifi world is interesting, as unlike most other hobbies the source material is fixed, the equipment makes a difference, but above a certain price point (300 per piece) it does a fine job and most people wouldn't notice the difference. It becomes a matter of taste.

interesting thread, thanksÿ

ÿ

ÿ

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
I can honestly say that the only thing that would enhance my system at present would be more hours to listen to it.

But that doesn't stop me wondering what an LP12 would sound like...

(Roksan Radius V / Nima / Ortofon 2M Blue) (Arcam Alpha 6 or XP PC or Sky+ through Beresford DAC) (iPod Classic 160) (Naim NAC102/180) (Monitor Audio RS6)

A

Anonymous

I think (IMHO) everybody would be truly happy if they stop checking audio forums or reading mags when they have just bought a new kit.

I you have a decent kit (I'm not talking about a stereo radio-cassette), reading an opinion saying the good some other kit is or be stars collected by it, doen't make it better than yours... but thats the human condition...

A

Anonymous

smo:
I think (IMHO) everybody would be truly happy if they stop checking audio forums or reading mags when they have just bought a new kit.

I you have a decent kit (I'm not talking about a stereo radio-cassette), reading an opinion saying the good some other kit is or be stars collected by it, doen't make it better than yours... but thats the human condition...

Yes, greedy.........
emotion-1.gif

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
I am truly happy that after 10 years with a low budget NAD system and some budget Cambridge Audio speakers i was tempted to find out what spending some money on hifi would actually yield. Yes i am delighted with what i now listen to.

I am really happy with the hardware but also i am bitten by the upgrade bug and am tweaking things for sure but i find it quite fun to be honest.

Drummerdave

Dec 4, 2007
Visit site
Wasn't 100% happy with my AVI setup until recently. Thought it was lacking in the bass department but recently the bass has increased quite noticably and it must be down to one (or all) of three things 1) the speaker drivers have finally loosened up, 2) a newly hung picture has improved the room acoustics, 3) I swapped my Gotham IC for an old Cambridge Audio Pacific cable. Whatever it was the bass is now far deeper and more dynamic and I may delay getting that sub, for a while anyway.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
smo:I think (IMHO) everybody would be truly happy if they stop checking audio forums....

Who else can you talk to about this sort of thing unless you want your sanity doubted by friends and family and colleagues?

JoelSim:

Funny isn't it, that we are all searching for nirvana, not the Kurt Kobain one, but the hifi one.

Who, on this forum is 100% happy with their set-up?

I'm happy about 95% of the time when I really love my system, but the odd disc sounds, well, not quite as good as expected or wanted.

It would be good to hear from all those who have complete and utter 'can't do better' feelings, so that it gives people a good idea of synergistic system matchings.

Listening at the moment is top class, as will the next CD be, and the one after that, but there are a couple I won't play as I don't enjoy them as much as I 'ought' to.

Am totally, utterley and catagorically over the moon with my system. . .erm. . . and I think santa actually exists?

Depends, I believe, on your attitude in life - just like if your unwell, your hi-fi never sounds as good as when your hunky dory.

For the money, I still maintain the synergy of my current Arcam/Monitor Audio system is very hard to beat, hence why I'm taking my time before deciding on a new amp.
emotion-5.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts