Trouble hooking up laptop to reciever.

joeteds

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Hey all

Sorry if this is in the wrong place but I think its right?

I need to hook my laptop up to the TV so I can get the laptop sound coming out through my reciever but Im having trouble.Ive managed to get my laptop picture onto m TV screen but I can not get the sound to come out of my reviever for toffee.To get the picture Im just using a svga monitor cable and for the sound Ive tried an hd lead going from the laptop into the aux on the front of the reciever but that didnt work and Ive also tried an hd lead from the laptop into pretty much all the hd slots in the back of the reviever too but nothing.If it helps the TV is a Samsung D7000 and the reviever is Onkyo TX-NR616.Thanks a lot in advance for any help you can give me.

abacus

You mean you are using the SVGA lead just for the picture which is connected to the TV. (This is correct)

You are then using a 3.5mm jack to 2 x RCA Phono lead to connect the laptop headphone/line output to your receiver.

If this is correct, make sure your laptop is set to output sound to the headphone/line output (This includes any 3rd party software) and the volume is full up, and then activate the input on the receiver that you have plugged the RCA Phono plugs into, and all should now work. (Note: You may need to assign the analogue input to your source input)

If you are connecting a digital cable (Usually an optical cable) from your laptop to your receiver, them make sure the digital output is assigned as the output channel, and assign the optical input you have connected to on your receiver, to the input source you have selected.

Hope this helps

Bill

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Sounds like you're using an HDMI lead from your post. Do you have an HDMI going from your receiver to the TV? If so, you can just hook your laptop up to the receiver via the HDMI and treat the laptop as you would any other source (e.g. a Blu-ray player) i.e. you shouldn't need the extra VGA cable going direct to the TV.

If not, you can do it as you are, but as mentioned above, you need to go into the Sound settings for your laptop and ensure it's set to output via the HDMI output.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts