Trouble fixing tonearm to Gyrodec se ?

Dvddvd

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
Just putting my Gyrodec together.

All went well until i tried to fit the tonearm to the tone arm board.

The tonearm is a michell tecnoarm single hole fixing and the armboard is a rega one hole one.

The armboard fits onto gyrodec fine, The tonearm fits through hole on armboard but the top vta nut screws up fine but the brass main body of tonearm fixing is not long enough to go through hole and allow the bottom nut to be screwed on ?

Either the arm board is to thick ? or the hole needs to be bigger in armboard to allow the top vta nut to sink into the armboard (there is a lip around the vta nut) not sure if that makes sense ?

Dvddvd said:
Just putting my Gyrodec together.

All went well until i tried to fit the tonearm to the tone arm board.

The tonearm is a michell tecnoarm single hole fixing and the armboard is a rega one hole one.

The armboard fits onto gyrodec fine, The tonearm fits through hole on armboard but the top vta nut screws up fine but the brass main body of tonearm fixing is not long enough to go through hole and allow the bottom nut to be screwed on ?

Either the arm board is to thick ? or the hole needs to be bigger in armboard to allow the top vta nut to sink into the armboard (there is a lip around the vta nut) not sure if that makes sense ?

What VTA collar are you using? I had a very thin Origin Live one. The tonearm should fit that armboard just fine

Perhaps this thread might help.

http://www.hifiwigwam.com/showthread.php?129991-Setting-up-Michell-Gyro-se-arm-board-and-arm

It would seem you don't use the vta collar when fitting to a Michell deck. Like Rega it would appear that Michell believe the VTA is not that important when using one of their own tonearms.

Joe10155 said:
It may sound silly but, have you screwed the top nut (VTA aduster) on upside down? The wider part of it should be uppermost and the smaller diameter downwards which fits into the armboard. See Mitchell's website:

http://www.michell-engineering.co.uk/tonearms/vta-arm-adjuster/

and

http://www.michell-engineering.co.uk/tonearms/technoarm

You may note that the Techno arm is not specifically mentioned in your first site and on the second it shows the VTA adjuster fitted but there is no mention of it fitting a Michell deck.

Joe10155

Oct 25, 2008
Visit site
Hi Al ears, The Techno Arm is a reworked Rega RB250 developed by Michell's themselves for their decks (and others) and fits in the standard older (pre 3-point) Rega mounting board for the Gyro SE/Gyrodec. At least it does on mine :)

Joe10155 said:
Hi Al ears, The Techno Arm is a reworked Rega RB250 developed by Michell's themselves for their decks (and others) and fits in the standard older (pre 3-point) Rega mounting board for the Gyro SE/Gyrodec. At least it does on mine :)

Thanks, I was aware of this. The question is do you have the VTA collar fitted as this is what the OP is having difficulty with.

TRENDING THREADS